We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pricing

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
pricing

wow...it sure seems like prices have gone up a bit this year. The only time we can travel this coming winter is March break and right now the prices are pretty high for the usual spots we have gone to, the Bahia, Majestic, Excellence...

Going to make for interesting planning this year..

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pricing

check out air transat website directly,, they seem to be having some pricing that they are not passing on to travel agents,, i got a awesome deal there,, not for march break mind you,,,

march break always seems to be a premium,,

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,076 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: pricing

Airfares are way up..... price of oil.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pricing

I'm pretty discouraged too. We have to go at the end of Feb because of school break. I'm hoping to see more choices/better deals in the Fall.

Edited: 14 June 2011, 19:23
halifax canada
Level Contributor
960 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: pricing

it normaly gets better in the fall or first of jan .we go in late jan or feb and have always found best prices end dec first of jan,but this year way up fro last year ,and last year was up from year before.right now for the same place same time as last year is 600 more per person

i would say its fuel cost ,but cuba ,and other places are as low or lower then last year

Edited: 14 June 2011, 19:29
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: pricing

Like "northenmale" we are seeing some decent pricing with transat this year - especially for the generally overpriced departures from Fredericton.

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,197 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pricing

Momluvstorun

For many years, we were booking our vacations just like you do - based on the school breaks.

We happen to be talking with the school

principle about next years plans and he said, why would you go at the most expensive time ?

Then he said, take the children with you anytime you feel it is affordable - whenever that may be. He then said that a trip to any other country is more educational for the children that anyone would imagine - the experiences will last them a lifetime. He could not imagine any principle of a school not permitting their students to do the same - well after that statement, it became a lot more affordable.

The children would take photos of everywhere we went, every point of interest they saw, all the neat fish, buildings, people, scenery etc and present them to their class mates when

they returned, for everyone to ask questions - all benefited - even the teaching staff !

I remembered my parents doing this with myself and two sisters - it sure benefited us.

Just a thought for you.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Edited: 14 June 2011, 21:31
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pricing

Thanks Brooklin - I surely would do that for my 8 year-old son but I want to bring along my older daughters and one is in University so she cannot afford to miss any classes!

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,197 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pricing

Momluvstorun

University !- you are right - that is a lot tougher to do !

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: pricing

And don't forget, teachers have problems going at any time other than school breaks!!

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: pricing

Just what I was going to say....as support staff they don't like us taking holidays out of season, so we have no choice but to pay the high costs...