We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ambar questions

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
north bay ontario
Level Contributor
208 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Ambar questions

We are going to the resort mid July and I am sure this has been asked but want to know what is the best room location on the higher floor, quiet and a good view of the ocean. Also what is the best restaurants and are some of them closed in the summer. Is there a problem with premium liquor as some of the reviews mention. I am concerned over the air conditioning being shut off in the early morning hours is that true? I am also not clear about saving of the chairs and security will take your belongings prior to 8 am so what is the best way to get a chair in the shade at the beach. Any other tips would be much appreciated for me and my hubby in our early 50's.

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
12,935 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ambar questions

doodlejb,

All of the buildings are 3 stories high and the buildings closest to the beach/pool are numbers 60, 64 & 67. If you were to "request" any of these buildings with a room that faces the pool/beach, would be the best approach.

Your "request" should be sent to Albania Batista at asistenteventasbppuj@bahia-principe.com, no sooner than 7-10 days prior to your arrival.

Please remember that this is a "request" which is based on the availability.

Albania will do her very best to accommodate you.

The best a la cartes are certainly subjective and based on individual taste but I can advise you on the ones that have certainly more than suited our groups tastes - The Don Pablo (Gourmet) at the Ambar, the Bella Italia at the Esmeralda, the Steakhouse at the Esmeralda, the Maiko Japanese just outside the Bavaro resort lobby and the always popular main buffet at the Ambar - especially on Thursday nights for Gala night which features seafood galore. All a la cartes open at 6:30 pm as well as the main buffet.

You may prebook your a la cartes by sending a "request" to Leonardo Astacio at: gerenterrppbpamb@bahia-principe.com no sooner than 7-10 days prior to your arrival. You will receive a reply from both Albania and Leonardo.

Occassionally the resorts will close one or two of their a la cartes, but none of those that I have mentioned.

I know of no problem with the premium liquor:

Here is a list of the liquor that is included at which are at an extra cost:

No Extra charge:

Rum

Blanco

Anejo, Extra Viejo

Dorado

Bacardi Gold

Brandy & Anisete

Nacional

Internacional

Anisete

Gin

Nacional

Larios

Beefeater

Gordons

Tanqueray

Vodka

Nacional

Eristoff

Stolichnaya

Snaps

Tequila Internacional

Liquor

Licores Nacionales - National Liqueur

Naranja - Orange Liqueur

Licor de Cafe - Melon Liqueur

Licor de Melocoton - Peach Liqueur

Licor de Platano - Banana Liqueur

Sambuka

Baileys Irish Cream

Whisky

Nacional

Whisky 5 years old

JB, Dewars

Jim Bean

Here are others with a charge:

Liquor

Drambuie - $4

Kahlua - $4.50

Grand Marnier - $7.75

Frangelico - $4.40

Tia Maria - $5.70

Cointreau - $4.60

D.O. Cavas

Cordon Negro brut - $24.50

Carta Nevada - $23.25

D.O. Champagne

Moet Chandon Brut Imperial - $138

Dom Perignon Brut - $345

Blended Scotch Whisky

Johnnie Walker Black Label 12 year - $6.90

Chivas Regal, Blended Scotch 12 years - $4.50

Highland Malt Whisky

Glenfiddich, Single Malt, Special Old Reserve - $12.75

Irish Whisky

Jameson, 12 years - $3.75

American & Bourbon Whisky

Jack Daniels Tennessee Whisky, Old - $4.50

Four Roses Whisky - $4.20

Canadian Whisky

Canadian Club - $5.40

Brandy

Cardenal Mendosa, Solera, Gran Reserva - $10.20

Carlos I, Sloera, Gran Reserva - $7.60

Cognac

Hennessy, V.S.O.P. Privilege - $9.25

Remy Martin, V.S.O.P. Fine Champagne - $11.40

Vodka

Finlandia - $4

Absolut - $4

Rum

Ron Imperial Golden Rum - $3.20

Snaps

Tequila Viuda de Romero - $4.25

The air conditioning is not turned off at the resort in the morning (unless they have had a problem with the AC that day) - as long as you have not opened your balcony door, which automatically turn off the AC, and you have a room card (or any other type of plastic card - we bring a few of the gift cards one finds at the local gas station - unfilled of course) inserted in the control in the room (your butler or porter will show you precisely how the AC works when you enter your room) it will always be running.

The resort has policies listed in the information in the rooms as well on each palapa around the pool and beach which restricts the "towel game" so to speak - in order to allow all guests to have access to loungers/palapas etc... Any guest who leaves objects on the loungers around the pool for example, prior to 8:00 am and are not occupying the loungers, will likely have the objects removed by the security staff. If you wish a lounger in the shade by the beach, there are many available, then I would suggest that you go there at 8:00 am to obtain one. Those guests who leave towels etc... on the loungers and then leave them unoccupied for a period of time (longer than an hour) , do always run the risk of it being occupied by someone else when they return. Given the time of year you are travelling, I would not expect that you would have any issue in finding a lounger in shade - either from a palapa or a palm tree.

I hope this is of assistance to you.

Have a great vacation in Punta Cana.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Edited: 24 June 2011, 03:27
north bay ontario
Level Contributor
208 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ambar questions

Thank you so much for all of the great information and will definitely be booking the ala cartes as they seem to be the favourites. Do you know how many you can book in advance and what the times would be? How far is it to walk to the other resorts from the Ambar if we want to try something different and which one would you recommend. Is there mats to float on in the pool? One last question, is there a bar that would make good martinis?

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
12,935 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ambar questions

doodlejb,

You can book up to one a la carte per day if you wish. As I have mentioned above, the a la cartes open at 6:30 pm - they close at 10:00 pm.

I have mentioned the other a la cartes at the other resorts you may wish to try.

To walk to the Bella Italia and the Steakhouse at the Esmeralda would take about 5-7 minutes, the Maiko Japanese would be 8-10 minutes (take the very convenient tram which will drop you off at the beach end of the Bavaro lobby and just walk through the Bavaro lobby to get to the Maiko a la carte.

This is the link to the most current map of the Bahia properties:

worldisround.com/articles/…photo264.html

Just copy & paste this link into your web browser and when it loads, scroll to the bottom right corner of the map and click on "view full size image" for easier viewing. Do not try to print this map off at home - you will be provided with a nice pocket size fold out version of this in your welcome package when you check in.

There are no mats to float on in the pool, however, you may purchase some at a reasonable price at the shop in the Pueblo Principe that is directly opposite the Sports/Kareoke bar - opposite corner.

The bar that I would suggest to make you a martini, would be your lobby bar.

Hope this helps.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

north bay ontario
Level Contributor
208 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ambar questions

Thanks John. It certainly does answer all of our questions and it is much appreciated that you are taking the time to help us out and get this valuable information. Janice D

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
168 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ambar questions

doodlejb,,, you will enjoy the Ambar,,,,, we have been 3 times and found it exceeds all our expectations... In case you did not know starting December you can fly to Punta Cana direct with Canjet from North Bay,, who would have thought that possible....

north bay ontario
Level Contributor
208 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ambar questions

Howdy neighbour. Very excited over the possibility of leaving from North Bay and hopefully the prices will not be too much higher than Toronto. Also a big plus is having another company to choose from and not having to rely on one company to get to Toronto.

7. Re: Ambar questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 19:18