We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dominican food

Mississippi
Level Contributor
115 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
dominican food

What are some examples of traditional Dominican food? We'll be at Excellence, which I understand is pretty far away from a town. What's our best bet for sampling some?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,405 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dominican food

I've had some tasty goat in the DR.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dominican food

I am uncertain whether this is"traditional Dominican" but I love the Hog Hoofs.

(pigs feet) Their preparation is delicious......can't seem to get enough when I am there.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: dominican food

* cooked Goat

* Chicken and Pork, the whole slowly Animal Grilled over Charboil(Sp??)

* small Groupers, Fried

* big Groupers and Snappers and Mahis cooked in the Gas Oven

* Javali/Wild Pork, my all Time fav along with those wild lil Birds I always forget their name, but the best of the best foby My Taste

those are the mainmeats a Family tries to bring as a Full Collection on a Holiday Dinner table, like on X-mas Eve for example, they are Not the every Day Meal, as they are quiet expensive compared to the Daily consume Meals.

Happy cooking

Mike

Wellington, Ohio
Level Contributor
561 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dominican food

I had two items when a stayed at Dreams Palm Beach a couple of years ago that were quite good. However I am not totally sure they were Dominican. One was banana slices wrapped with bacon. These were really yummy. The other dish was a bean dish-can't remember exactly what they were called. I think stew beans (?). They were red beans in a mildly spicy sauce that were frequently served at breakfast. Perhaps someone can confirm if these are Dominican dishes or not.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dominican food

http://www.dominicancooking.com/

I've learned so much from this book and the website. Get to know the food before you arrive and try cooking at it at home!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
115 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dominican food

Thanks! I've never had goat or pigs' feet, but we both love all kinds of seafood, and I like to be adventurous on vacation. I'll take a look at the website, too.

Is there any chance of trying these dishes on the resort?

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dominican food

The resorts usually have a Dominican buffet night in which these items are usually served. I see goat on the buffet quite often. You may not like them but do give them a try.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: dominican food

Goat, Pork, Chicken, Beef and different Fishes are on the Menues/Buffets at the Resorts on Daily bases, also the typical Rice, Beens and local Veggies.

Mike

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dominican food

I love the lambi (we know it as conch). It's usually done in a fabulous sauce and is one of my favourites...........

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: dominican food

There is Navigante restaurant near Excellence - mostly seafood, but I've not eaten there so can't comment on quality or price. see map puntacanatv.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/P…

You could also take a taxi down to Macao beach, about a 15 minute drive away - it's a beautiful, natural, undeveloped beach with some small, rustic restaurants at the far right of the bay that serve fresh, fresh fish n cold beers.

puntacanatv.com/macao-beach-punta-cana.html

buen provecho!