We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Majestic Colonial - Sick guests again

EIRE pa
Level Contributor
285 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Majestic Colonial - Sick guests again

Another review of 15 of 17 people getting sick. i keep posting It will pass by the time we arive. I understand things happen no matter how nice of a hotel and this hotel has a great reputation. Ill keep my eye out. any input!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Majestic Colonial - Sick guests again

I just went to the reviews section and read the last 5 reviews about the Majestic Colonial,

Looks Gorgeous, one very negative review and the next 4 all on the Top rating is with 5 Stars, based on those Reviews I would book there right away without any hesitation, all 5 reviewers been visiting the Resort in July, the same Month, 4 liked the Food and 1 said the Food makes You sick, so I personally would based on those 5 Reviews eat any Food there without any Fear to get sick.

a Group of 17 arrives, and 15 out of those 17 get Sick, while the other Guests/Reviewers at the same Time did not get sick, make's me wonder if that Group may have brough In something of Sickness from their Hometown/Homeairport/Airplane or such, because that a in the Review mentioned 'Food Infestation' effects just one large specific Group and the Rest of the World is Fine and even mentions the Food as very Good, that would be something weird.

Happy Safe Travels

Mike

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Majestic Colonial - Sick guests again

I have another theory when someone reports 'everyone in the group was sick' .. when one is sick (or has any problem really) - then tend to wander continually to others in the group and look for validation asking others if they are/have been sick. (Misery loves company - it's true )

Most people will have some form of stomach issue (usually minor) at some point on holiday for a week anywhere you go just from the sheer change in diet for a week - let alone the heat and good chance alcohol. They might get an answer like - "will yeah - I had a bit of the runs yesterday morning - but that was it." And that person/answer is now in the count of 'people that were sick' to the person doing the asking. The numbers become somewhat exagerrated from the perspective of the reviewer who is searching for that company for their misery ...

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,784 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Majestic Colonial - Sick guests again

Wedding...very correct! What constitutes "sick"? A bout on the toilet? An upset stomach?

Oddly enough, when it comes to stomach issues....it is next to impossible to find stomach based drugs in this country...yet when I go to Canada, I can find a row that rivals breakfast cereals of stomach and digestive medicinal aides. That must say something about our eating habits back home! LOL

As for those being "hospitalized", one must remember that the medical centers at resorts are in fact "private medical centers" who make money off of sending you in for a night in the hospital...simply to have a bag of salt water drip into your blood stream. They could give you that stuff in your room and be done with it...but that would not make insurance money! I have seen people with a ripped toenail (a bit of disinfectant and some gauze will doctor you up on the spot), where they shuttle you off to the hospital for 3 days of "observation".

Cheers

PCMike

Northern England
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Majestic Colonial - Sick guests again

That review did worry me as we leave on Friday for the MC. I am trying to ignore it and look at the 5 reviews below as well as Shopgirl's thread - and their family are all ok.

Youre posts are making me feel better as you can't help but feel a bit worried on reading posts about flies all over the food and salds at room temperature :(

Fingers crossed all will be well - we have realistic expectations and try not to let any little things spoil our holiday :)

Sue

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Majestic Colonial - Sick guests again

Mike, you bring up a good point about the medical scams in DR. Until reading these Punta Cana reviews I have never heard of so many being hospitalized. I figure it's a scam and many hotel doctors are getting kickbacks for sending guests there. They count on the fact that most folks believe doctors are gods and anything they say must be the truth. Quite a racket they got going there.

EIRE pa
Level Contributor
285 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Majestic Colonial - Sick guests again

I believe the review was Exaggerated a bit. People do get sick. At one point their were quite a few reviews (in july) regarding sickness. It has tappered off.. I also see 2 -4 reviews a day which to me sounds like a lot. at one point the number of negative review regarding sickness was much more common. Ill continue to monitor the reviews and not panic. thats again. Mike, i used to post in the Aruba forum and they had thier regulars. Looks like you the pro here. Thanks for the help

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,658 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Majestic Colonial - Sick guests again

Almost all the good reviews are from people that have just joined TA this week, made no other contribution to TA at all and have no details filled out on their profiles. Do you not think that suspicious? I am not saying this because I am in agreement or whatever with the people who say they have been sick, I just find it very suspicious. We get it all the time on the Goa forum.

oklahoma
Level Contributor
71 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Majestic Colonial - Sick guests again

Just a word about the "medical scams" I became very ill with a intestinal infection 4 years ago while staying at the RIU Macao. They sent me to the medical clinic on carribean street and the young dr. there sent me immed. to the local hosp. The Cuban Dr. there wanted to do surgery right away, but my wife and I decided to try and make it back to the states which we did. Upon our return to Oklahoma my Dr. performed surgery, He told me that the antibotics I received in the Dominican probally bought me enough time to make it home and saved my life. I might add that the infection was NOT as a result of anything I ate at the hotel. My wife and I returned to the clinic on Carribean street 2 years ago to thank the Dr. who was still there.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
6,009 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Majestic Colonial - Sick guests again

"antibotics I received in the Dominican probally bought me enough time to make it home and saved my life. I might add that the infection was NOT as a result of anything I ate at the hotel."

I thought it was always the food! I wish people would quit blaming the easiest person to blame which is the resort and food. They are always positive to blame the resort when there are many other outside factors that may have lead to illness and they just ignore that.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Majestic Colonial - Sick guests again

I have to chime in on this one....we have stayed at the Colonial twice and are in the process of booking our third trip. Within 12 hours of arrival on our second trip I becme extremely ill. I KNEW immediately I had picked up something up while traveling. In no way shape or form did I think it was the food. Within 24 hours my husband had the same while our friends we were traveling with had no issues. I had antibiotics with me, which I started an immediate course of and within 48hrs was feeling 80% better.

Anyone who has truely had a food borne illness as serious as food poisoning will know the difference between a stomach upset with the accompaniment and a true food borne illness.

I only mention this to point out that people need to be aware that they are exposed to so many "foreign" germs while traveling. Everything you touch in an airport had been touched millions of times that day by thousands of people.