We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from Majestic Elegance.. USE THE SAFES!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just returned from Majestic Elegance.. USE THE SAFES!!

Our overall stay was a very nice one in a swim up room [luckily, right across from the swim up bar] , if it wasn't for being ROBBED on our third night there. There were a mixture of pro's and con's of this place, i don't think i would call it a 4/5 star resort.

The staff was a mixture of very friendly and attentive to those there just to get paid and get a tip.

Entertainment was a bit all over the place, but the Michael Jackson show was amazing!!

My boyfriend and I did two excursions, which were the best part of the vacation. The country adventure and the juanillo vip tour. It is a bit of money to pay, but I was very interested in seeing the lifestyle. We had a great group of people, as well as the tour guide, driver and 'bartender' on the bus.

What put a HUGE damper on the entire experience is knowing that either the minibar stocker or our maid went through our drawers and clothing. My boyfriend made the mistake of leaving his wallet in his shorts which were INSIDE a drawer... wallet, a lot of cash, credit cards and license GONE. Yes, i understand we should have had it in the safe, but I guess our naive trusting ways were our stupid mistake. Jokes on us.

The guest services were not very helpful. We came home yesterday and were told to expect an EMAIL in regards to the pending 'investigation' since coincidentally both working were on their days off after the wallet went missing. We'll see what happens... I would at least love it if we got the wallet back. Being that it was a gift which has my boyfriends name engraved on it.

I'm not much of a complainer, I wouldn't write on here if I had bad steak or weak drinks.. Like i said our stay was VERY fun, we had to somehow look passed the bad and enjoy the good while still on vacation. It was a VERY expensive lesson to be learned. Just left a BAD taste in the mouth regarding the staff there..

You have to enjoy your stay the best you can. All inclusive means get your money's worth!

Punta Cana Mike's Private Dominican Adventure
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
HorsePlay Punta Cana
Private Tours, Horseback Riding Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Dos Bananas
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from Majestic Elegance.. USE THE SAFES!!

Theft sucks, sorry you had to go through that.

Life lessons are usually not pleasant. Most times, all it takes is making a simple mistake once, and the next thing you know the thugs are there to pounce.

All the best for your next vacation.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from Majestic Elegance.. USE THE SAFES!!

Ugh. I'm so sorry that happened. We are going for our honeymoon in November. I'll be sure to put everything away but that STINKS that we even have to think about stuff like that.

I hope everything is tied up for you, did they offer anything to you in terms of compensation due to the theft?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from Majestic Elegance.. USE THE SAFES!!

OMG,cannot be the staff at such a Top Resort?,and others on here will agree also,nothing Bad happens here?. Forget It E/mail will be a Whitewash!.

murillo
Level Contributor
6,574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from Majestic Elegance.. USE THE SAFES!!

glad you had the wits to look past the bad and try to enjoy the rest of your stay. Lots of people wouldn't.This could have happened at a hotel at home as well. Bummer.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from Majestic Elegance.. USE THE SAFES!!

Thank you all. It definitely is a lesson learned!

You're right, it can happen anywhere! you have to be super careful with your belongings!

Like i said, you've gotta enjoy it and make the best. That's what a vacation is all about!

And yes, it can happen at a top resort like that also. Another couple had sunglasses stolen from the counter top. Dont keep ANYTHING out in the open.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned from Majestic Elegance.. USE THE SAFES!!

Sorry for your bad experience. Last year in Mexico I forgot to put my cell to the safe (I left it charging on a table). HUGE mistake! It was stolen by the staff. Investigation did not get any results and never will! They will show an effort but when you are gone, they don't care. Everything of value should be in the safe all the time! We always had everything in a safe. Forgot it only once... We did not give any tips for the rest of our stay after that. Your know, sour taste in the mouth...

Edited: 19 August 2011, 16:01
Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,142 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned from Majestic Elegance.. USE THE SAFES!!

It's a real shame when we can no longer assume that honesty abounds and that dishonesty is the exception. I always do lock away anything of value, but it's still a sad state of affairs that presumably anything left out or even in a drawer is there for the taking. I know it can happen anywhere, and it's not a problem exclusive to PC, but one does seem to hear about it here, more often than in other places. And it always gets twisted around so that the victim is to blame, for not locking away every last thing - almost like travelers to PC are ok with, and expect common theft such as this. What a drag.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned from Majestic Elegance.. USE THE SAFES!!

I agree with poozie, it's a sign of the times. There was a time you could leave a wad a cash on a dresser in Cuba and the staff would never touch it. Those days are long gone. Same goes many many years ago in Puerto Plata. Now, if stuff isn't locked up, it seems it's okay to steal. Even having stuff in a safe means little these days. Reporting theft to management is a joke and a waste of time. Some resorts pretend to care but all too often some give guests the brush off. It's a shame but what can you do? My daughter and I double check each other when leaving the room to make sure everything is stashed and the safe is really locked.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned from Majestic Elegance.. USE THE SAFES!!

martamonika

I would put your post in/on the Resort Review page,see what response you get from there!!.If Any!!!,just might make them sit up and start to take notice of disappointed guest of late and WHY their Ratings are Dropping!.

Punta Cana...
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned from Majestic Elegance.. USE THE SAFES!!

Dear Martamonika,

First of all, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you might had during your stay and for the process you had to go through but on the other side I would also like to provide all the information and explain what has been done during the investigation.

The evening of the 16th August, around 10:20pm, you approached the Guest Services Department reporting that you had lost a wallet with inside credit cards, driving license and cash. You stated that you went for a Snack at the See & Sea restaurant at 3:15pm aprox. and that when you came back to the room at around 4pm you noticed the wallet was missing from the trousers pocket where you left it.

The security staff was called and together with a Concierge they came with you to revise the room in order to verify if it was misplaced or left in another area. The Concierge also mentioned that the hotel it not responsible for any valuable objects left outside the complimentary safe we provide and you agreed with that information.

Since we did not find any trace of your wallet we did the "read" of the key lock with our IT technician. The "read" of the door allows us to know at what time the door was open and with what keycard the door is open with. From the report it shows that the Minibar Staff entered at 11:11am, that you entered twice in the room at 2:36pm and 3:47pm and that the maid entered in the room at 3:47pm, 2 minutes later. We did inform you about the results of the report and also inform you that the only person who entered around the time you consider the wallet was lost it was the maid, 2 minutes after you.

As you stated, both maid and the minibar guy are off and will be back to work tomorrow afternoon and will be enquired but both of them have more than 2 years of duty in our company and have never been involved in anything related to such situations.

We do consider that on the resort side everything possible has been done in order to investigate the case and help you to find your wallet, and all the assistance needed has been provided: from the concierge who went to the room with you to the security staff with who you had the 2 meetings and our Guest Services Manager as well.

Lastly, you fail to mention that you agreed to have your room charges removed at the check out as a gesture of goodwill and that you signed a confidentiality clause in regards of it (which obviously it not beeing respected).

Once more, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you might had during your stay.

Kind Regards

Majestic Elegance Management