We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia Principe or Ambar

Clinton, Iowa
Level Contributor
241 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Gran Bahia Principe or Ambar

Is the "adults only' designation at the Ambar resort worth the difference in price over the cost of the Principe resort?

Barrie, Ontario
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Bahia Principe or Ambar

Yes !! we are going back a second time in Nov. Less crowded and not as noisy from kids.

toronto
Level Contributor
149 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Bahia Principe or Ambar

We just got back a week ago and well worth the difference in price. We took a walk over to the other resorts and were so glad we picked the Ambar section.

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,072 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Bahia Principe or Ambar

Walkerstoo

I would certainly agree with the previous posters on selecting the Ambar as the premier choice.

Being an adult only resort is one of the main advantages - but in our opinion the advantages go beyond that.

Ambar guests may use all the facilities of the Bavaro and Punta Cana resorts (except their gourmet a la cartes) but guests of the Bavaro/Punta Cana resorts may not use the Ambar facilities. Ambar guests have unlimited a la cartes, butler service, and a nice little private beach area.

The service, buffet and a la cartes are excellent, plus Ambar guests may use the a la cartes at the Bahia Esmeralda.

I hope this helps you.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Bahia Principe or Ambar

Absolutely! We've been twice to the Ambar and loved it both times and we would never go to the Baha Principe. While the restaurants there were great - the pool and beach were waaaaay too crowded for our liking and because it's so huge, some of the rooms are quite far from the beach.

Sydney, N.S.
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Bahia Principe or Ambar

Most Definitely! We have been there three times and are planning another for February. The restaurants are great, the staff are great, and it is more serene than the sister resorts.

glasgow
Level Contributor
49 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gran Bahia Principe or Ambar

I have been reading review's about this hotel which i am going to in September and people speak about booking the restaurants prior to going. Can anyone explain how i go about this and what site i visit. Thanks

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,708 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gran Bahia Principe or Ambar

It's a simple process to request advance dining reservations at the Ambar. Simply email your request 7-to-10 days prior to your arrival to:

Leonardo Astacio at: gerenterrppbpamb@bahia-principe.com

Be sure to include your arrival date and tour operator's name & booking number.

Hope this helps!

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gran Bahia Principe or Ambar

When we were there we really noticed a big difference between the Ambar and the regular sides. The service was so much better at the Ambar and we found the other lobby and restaurants so much busier and noisier! We were so glad to get back to the Ambar when ever we had to venture over to the 'dark side' as we referred to it!

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,072 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gran Bahia Principe or Ambar

sackie,

The Ambar certainly has that "ambience" to it doesn't it.

Of course the big difference is in the numbers of guests using the various lobbies based on the size of each resort - with the Ambar having 528 rooms versus the Bavaro resort with 864 rooms and the Punta Cana resort with 708 rooms, that is a substantial difference in the number of actual guests - notwithstanding the fact that the Ambar is an adult only resort.

It is certainly an excellent location for a relaxing vacation - and depending on the crowd there at the time, it does have it's excitement !!

John

Brooklin (Bubba KIng)

Ajijic, Mexico
Level Contributor
795 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gran Bahia Principe or Ambar

sipping a cuba libra in the ambar lobby as i type bing crosby singing white xmas in the background three quarters of the tables are empty no wait for refills. on the beach earlier just grabbed shady spot for awhile - easy to find.

gotta love the ambar.