We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling all Animal Lovers! Visiting Calalonia Bavaro?

1 post
Save Topic
Calling all Animal Lovers! Visiting Calalonia Bavaro?

Hi –

I read a very inspiring article about an animal rescue place helping a women rescue a stray dog from the Dominican Republic to California. I stayed at a resort in Punta Cana and there was a stray dog that hung out around the resort. My boyfriend and I fell so in love with her. She followed us back to our room. I have a picture of my boyfriend and her taking a nap on the bed. Months later, I still think about her and would do anything to get her to the US. She is white with some brown spots and light brown eyes. PLEASE let me know if you can help me in anyway locate her. I’ve emailed PETA, the hotel, various people and websites looking for any help from fellow animal lovers. I hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,568 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling all Animal Lovers! Visiting Calalonia Bavaro?

I have sent you a PM re. someone who may be able to help you.......

Miamisburg
Level Contributor
279 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling all Animal Lovers! Visiting Calalonia Bavaro?

Good Luck, I sure hope you find that baby!

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,649 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling all Animal Lovers! Visiting Calalonia Bavaro?

It is always a heartbreaker when I fall in love with the beach dogs. Every living thing deserves a home and love.

: (

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling all Animal Lovers! Visiting Calalonia Bavaro?

I might go against the grain here, but what is to say that a beach dog is not happy with the life they live> Same could go for a beach person....no suits...no stress...just flipflops and a carefree attitude.

Unfortunately we view life abroad as life at home and the reality is...life back home is...the exception...not the rule. I know of many beach dogs that get along just fine. No...they will not be in the next kennel club show, but they were never intended to be....that is something we created to feel good about ourselves. The dogs could care less! LOL

There is one particular beetch (guess i cannot say that.....can say that...dog terms)...that has walked the beaches of Macao for the past 5 years. She always finds me....looks like a bag of bones and has had numerous litters. She is not much different than the average North American dog that sees next to no exercise, gets pampered to plumpness and hasn't a clue what to do when let out of the invisible fencing of backyards, aside from living off what nature provides for food. Does she want to leave her home...as frugal as it can be at times? Likely not! One must understand that not all dogs are domestic pets and as a result...like many people in the world, do what it takes to make tomorrow a reality based on efforts.

I always find that the term "rescue" is somewhat selfish. What is a stray dog? That is a North American term. Do we have stray rabbits, fox and beavers? No! Dogs, although domesticated for our enjoyment, are natural survivors in the world, like all who live on to produce a future family.

Cheers

PCMike

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,649 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling all Animal Lovers! Visiting Calalonia Bavaro?

Mike,

Very much disagree that the bag of bones on the beach lives a happy life. I only wish it were so.

: (

Windsor, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling all Animal Lovers! Visiting Calalonia Bavaro?

Hi PCMike :)

I recently just got home from Punta Cana (3 days ago) and saw many beach/street dogs but one dog in particular touched my heart

We visited Macao Beach the day before we left and came across a 'bag of bones' dog who looked to have had multiple litters, she sounds like the dog you've described and i've been messaging various rescue groups trying to find some information on how I can locate this dog or help her.

Could you please tell me if this is the dog you are referring to ?

…photobucket.com/albums/…yearly331.jpg

thanks so much !

Debbs.

La Ronge, Canada
Level Contributor
2,382 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calling all Animal Lovers! Visiting Calalonia Bavaro?

Awww Debbs - That dog is a real sweetheart and so are you for wanting to rescue her! Some people may feel these animals ( stray cats included) are just fine living the life they do, but let's face it, any one of these animals are better off in a loving home than roaming the streets ( or beaches in this case) alone. I wish you the best of luck with your effort to find her!

south of england
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calling all Animal Lovers! Visiting Calalonia Bavaro?

Bravo to all the kind people who care about those poor dogs , who feed them and make life that bit easier for them for a week or two . Your kindness will always be rewarded some day ....:)

Gaza

muskoka ON
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calling all Animal Lovers! Visiting Calalonia Bavaro?

I am going to have to agree with Mike here - and yes, I am an animal lover and proud mother of 2 cats and a dog (used to have 4 cats - 1 for each kid - but we've cut back as the kids moved away)

I've seen these beach dogs, resort cats and even the new litter of airport kitties and yes, they may not have a human home, but they certainly are not afraid of humans and look as if they do get fed beach scraps on a daily basis. They interact with the humans, because the humans seem to want to feed them scraps. A kittie purring in the sun beside the pool seems pretty happy to me.

And while I applaud your desire to ensure thay they are safe and healthy, perhaps there are other ways of helping instead of trying to reacclimatize an animal from his/her 'natural habitat'

Bugs

*putting asbestos pants on LOL*

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Calling all Animal Lovers! Visiting Calalonia Bavaro?

Ah...my little alien dog! LOL She is doing quite well hanging out at Bales at the end of the beach. Eating a lot of scraps and quite friendly with the clientele.

Cheers

PCMike