We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from iberostar grand, any questions?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Just back from iberostar grand, any questions?

Just arrived back after 12 night stay yesterday. We were there on our honeymoon (first time to DR). We had a great time but not sure the grand lived up to it's hype.

Any questions? I will do my best to answer

Woodstock, Maryland
Level Contributor
397 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from iberostar grand, any questions?

Welcome back,

What type of room did you have. If is was standard what view was it? You sounded dissapointed with resort. Can you be more specific? We are going next month and would like to know the pros and cons.

Thanks

NYC
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from iberostar grand, any questions?

Was there a DVD player?

Any US TV channels?

iPod dock?

Thanks - sorry it didn't live up to the hype for you. Long vacations often do that to me no matter where I stay.

Fishkill, NY
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from iberostar grand, any questions?

I would love to know whatever you can tell! I am thinking about going here in February but there a few things I have issues with

- It looks like it could be gaughty

- Hate the writbands

- Hate the dinner reservations

I cannot ignore the great reviews though! We went to SSCC last year and hoped to return this year but my travel agent says there is no availability. We are looking for an upscale AO/AI and everyone says to go to IGB!!!!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from iberostar grand, any questions?

First impressions are perfect wonderful lobby, welcome drink, bell boy brought bags to room, personal butler showed us around room. I had pre requested a room, I paid for basic "garden view" but after reading TA posts emailed and requested room overlooking boat, got 7387 whic was on 4th floor directly overlooking boat, included iPod dock but limited English speaking Tv channels I think about 5 out of 45.

I had pre booked first two nights dinner but was told both of the restaurants I had booked (gourmet & Italian) weren't open on our first nite so we would have to eat in buffet as a la Cartes that were open were fully booked.

Hotel was at 35% occupancy we were told which was nice, pool not too busy etc. I presume because of low occupancy not all restaurants were open every nite and some nights the buffet wasn't open. Heard of couples having to order room service on several occasions as the buffet was closed and restaurants fully booked (u need to book a la Cartes when u arrive if u want to eat there.)

We didnt see the butler again after that first meeting, despite him stressing he would be "looking after us" any time we called concierge he wasn't available.

I must stress the worries about the weather were wasted it was glorious sunny and warm all day every day rained on and off all day once and rained again poignantly just as we boarded the plane to go home.

The main lobby bar for evening drinking has no air con and is open so it was often too hot and mossie filled. My wife and I got bitten quite a lot despite taking bug spray precautions, this was a real problem as we were getting bitten in our bed at night, housekeeping investigated and "fumigated"/sprayed the room on 4 occasions but it didn't seem to help.

The hotel looks great and has the most polite staff I have met at any resort.

The main let down for us was the quality of the food, the Italian and gourmet restaurants especially were a real let down in terms of both menu choice and good quality. Many guests raved about the Japanese but it wasn't as good as any tapinyaki restaurant I have eaten in at home. Best places to eat where buffet and surf and turf. The menus here tho are very limited and based around red meat and shell fish. I must admit here this is prob heaven for many but my wife doesn't eat red meat and I'm allergic to shellfish.

That has never been a problem for us anywhere else in the world but at IGB there was not one veggie main course in any if the a la Cartes. The pizza labelled vegetarian in the buffet had ham on it etc.

For those about to go be aware there is an AI wine list that they don't seem to want to show u, wine is just red or White for them. obr evening I chose a pinot grigio off menu but waitress began to pour a Chardonnay, I pointed this out and she argued tht it was PG despite reading Chardonnay off the label. To compound it she topped up our glassed with a different White wine.

I don't want to moan (I'm sure many of u think I am), we had a relaxing time and enjoyed ourselves but came back with the impression that despite so many plus points the resort just didn't do it for us. It was sad because it almost seemed that a few tweaks here and there notably to food menu design that things could be so mich better.

All the TA posts rave about it and I can see why but I spike with many couples there who echoed my views.

Tge telling point is I wouldnt go back and from many of the conversations I had several other guests there wouldn't either.

Edited: 12 September 2011, 23:39
Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from iberostar grand, any questions?

Very interesting. I always like to see which hotels can keep up the service and food quality during the low occupancy season. We travel every year in September, and we've stayed with all the major resort chains. We had a similar experience with Iberostar in riviera maya 2 years ago. We felt that half the resort was closed because the occupancy wasn't up. I've owned/managed restaurants, and I know that a complete shutdown isn't necessary. There are smart and economical ways to keep all systems going. You have to keep the service experience the same. We're going to stay at a smaller hotel this year, and that was part of the reasoning.

However, for some reason, we've always had good luck with Grand Palladium resorts in September. Go figure....

6. Re: Just back from iberostar grand, any questions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 12:16