We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stressed out on where to stay

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
161 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Stressed out on where to stay

I have to book SOON! (Mid Oct) We are well travelled to Hawaii and Mexico and this time would like to go to Punta Cana. But there are too many hotels to choose from!

We are 35 and 40...leaving our daughter at home....looking for beach, relaxation and fun but NOT to "party"...We are not big complainers, but like a nice clean place with decent food and drinks.

Had my eye on GBP Ambar, Catalonia, Dreams??? There has been lots of talk on the Palladium, but they ALL look amazing and have pretty good reviews...

I appreciate any guidance

Vero Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stressed out on where to stay

It is a very hard decision because most of the resorts in Punta Cana are beautiful and in my opinion regardless of where you stay you will have a wonderful vacation. Compare pricing, distance from airport, when rooms were updated last, how convenient the layout of the resort is to your needs, beach conditions and a big factor for me is cleanliness of the resort. With all these factors taken into consideration, the resort of our choice always takes us back to the Palladiums. But like I said, don't worry or stress about it, all the resorts are nice and you'll have a great time.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
161 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stressed out on where to stay

Thanks a million for your imput.

After getting my husband involved we sat for a few hrs today swaying from Ambar/Ocean Blue + Now......

We ended up booking at the GPalladium Bavaro Imperial Club (good price from BC). Lots of good reviews and pics. We are happy if we have a drink in hand on a lounger (in the HOT sun), and a decent meal.

Vero Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stressed out on where to stay

I think you will be very happy at the Grand Palladium Bavaro. You will love the tropical atmosphere and beautiful landscaping among their tall palms.

One thing to keep in mind about this resort; if your villa is near the beach, which by the way, have incredible views, you will have a good 5-6 minute walk to the lobby, a la cartes, sports bar, theater and disco. The resort has its villas spread out nicely on a long stretch of property, but some guests find it cumbersome to walk. They do have a small train that comes by if you prefer to wait to be picked up, but we really like our strolls through their beautiful gardens. At night, on the way back to our rooms, we usually stop for a nightcap at Hemingways coctail bar which offers premium alcohol.

What are your travel dates?? We will be returning Nov. 7 through the 18.

Have a great time.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
161 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stressed out on where to stay

I requested a close" to the beach" room and we are "walkers" so the size of the resort is not an issue. We have stayed at large resorts on the Riviera (GBP Coba and the GS Princess) and like to walk up the beaches!

We leave Oct 20 - 27th out of Vancouver... CAN'T wait! Had the crapiest rainy summer.

Do you know what kind of shopping is walkable nearby, with decent prices other than giftshop? Will need to pick up some souvenirs for my daughter

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stressed out on where to stay

at the end of the resort property ( RST end) there are shops on the beach, but they haggle hard,always offer 50% of what they quote you, if you go into the village directly behind the shops on the beach there are stores that have fixed prices, the cucci shop SP? the los pinos shop and I believe a jewelry store as well as a grocery store.

Vero Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stressed out on where to stay

There is also the Plaza Bavaro which is in walking distance. Leave the resort through the main entrance right outside the Bavaro section. Take a right and follow that road and you will come to a small shopping area, with Steve's bar on the corner. Take a left around Steve's bar and you will come to the Plaza Bavaro on the right side of the road. There are little stores to your left as well and a bank on the right near the Plaza. Shopping experience is as sukie stated, one must haggle with them to bring down the price or you will pay big time.

Almost forgot about Club Imagine!! It is a hopping disco in a cave with different theme rooms. Reservations need to be made ahead of time and a transfer will stop at the resort to pick you up and bring you back. Here is a link to check out.

www.indmix.biz/album08/080308/index7.html

montreal
Level Contributor
655 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stressed out on where to stay

i would book the ambar

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
161 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stressed out on where to stay

Thanks "Sukie63" about the bartering tip (didn't know 50%)! Been to HongKong and Mexico lots so I do have good "lets-make-a-deal" skills. LOL

"Razel1952" - thanks also for all your tips...Too bad we are 2 wks apart on trips! I'll msg you if I have anymore questions. (If that's ok)

"Sillyguy" Next time we will try the Ambar! We live in Northern BC with like 7 months of cold (-37C last winter) and a min 5ft of snow...so we will be "escaping winter" again in Feb/Mar. "Happy wife- happy life" LOL

Vancouver
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stressed out on where to stay

We're going to the GP Bavaro resort on Nov 28 and also booked the imperial package with transat holidays - our first time in PC. We will be staying in the Bavaro section. Which section will you be in?

I hope you drop a line to TA and let us know about your trip when you get back.

Have a fabulous vacation!

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
161 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stressed out on where to stay

hkmvan....sounds like we booked the exact same trip just different dates! The only difference is we are coming from "stupid" PG! LOL.......My first time to DR as well...I will be sure to post a very detailed review and can answer all your questions for you!!

As long as it doesn't rain much, we will have a fab time! Hope yo have sunny skies too!