We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropical Depressions

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Merrick, New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Tropical Depressions

Hey all,

leaving for PC early Thursday. I am far from a worry wart, and will never let a little rain ruin my vacation, this question is purely for knowledge purposes. I checked the National Hurricane Center's Website ( http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ ) just to make sure the conditions would be fine to land in PC Airport. The site shows 1 TD that has a 0 percent chance of forming (just clouds) and another one that is forming quite rapidly.

While I will never let weather ruin what kind of fun I will be having, (also, I realize they usually veer off track from the DR) I am curious to know...if the "so called" TD forming is moving at around 10 mph, how many days does it usually take to reach the caribbean?

I know times can vary based on how much speed it picks up but Ive always been curious about this and it has never directly really influenced my life, except for Irene (Im from NY). Any insight would be great. Thanks!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,798 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropical Depressions

See link below to a thread which is already running on the same topic

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k482…

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropical Depressions

At 10mph, it'll travel 240 miles per day.

If the storm is 1500 miles away: 1500/240 = 6.25 days.

That's an example, I have no idea how far the system is from PC.

kentucky
Level Contributor
199 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropical Depressions

check out Storm pulse...... Atlantic hurricanes...forecast models I have found this to be the most informative site!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
4,830 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropical Depressions

The NHC says the system is about 1450 miles east of the Windward Islands. So, it is probably somewhere like about 2000 miles or so from PC, as a wild guess. So, it might be there in around a week and a half, if it continues at the same speed and tracks in that direction.

Merrick, New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropical Depressions

Thanks all. According to storm pulse its around 2100 miles away from Santo Domingo. At the rate its going (and assuming it was on track for DR) it would take approx. 8 days to hit the island. Interesting stuff tracking a storm. Especially when it may or may not directly impact where you may be staying. Us NY'ers are not used to storm tracking. If it stays at 10mph well be gone when it hits. Do they usually pick up much in speed? Like, say 20mph? r do they usually stay around 10mph at all times?

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropical Depressions

Locally we track systems 24 hours out. Beyond that there is too much variance and vagueness. You can fret and worry for days about things that 10 years ago, were never reported, or you can wait until a few hours forward, as we do here. Saves a lot of wasted effort!

Cheers

PCMike

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropical Depressions

5 days out Katia was supposed to hit DR....didn't. Then 5 days out Maria was supposed to hit DR with 75 mph winds and 4 days of storms.....missed with only moderate activity in DR.

Moral of the story....Atlantic storms are impossible to predict this far out.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tropical Depressions

Lets hope it just swirls on by....we are flying in Friday night and I am not a fan of bumpy rides. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tropical Depressions

I agree with you Vicki - bumpy plane rides and landings are no fun and since I'll be on the same plane as you I hope the air is clear for us! Only 3 more days to go!!!

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tropical Depressions

Can't wait.....I am keeping my eye on what is churning out there. Looks like we may be in for some unfortunate weather if the tracking does not curl away from the islands. Still really, really far away at this point to know what might happen. We should have a better picture in the next 2-3 days on what might be heading towards PC.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed (as well as my toes). One thing will be for sure though! Lots of fun with the waves in the ocean. Bring your floaty rafts for some fun!

Vicki