We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana or Varadero??

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Punta Cana or Varadero??

We have narrowed down our honeymoon choices to Punta Cana and Varadero. We are looking for a nice hotel and access to nightclubs/ nightly entertainment. Have seen some lovely hotels in both places so completely confused now!!

Lindsay, Canada
Level Contributor
474 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana or Varadero??

Been to both recently. A lot depends on your budget. Cuba is usually cheaper but lacks the spit and polish of Punta Cana. The people are very friendly and the beachs are the best in the world in the DR. The weather is usually warmer in the DR also. Once you have been to Punta Cana you would never go back to Cuba.A lot of people swear by Cuba but have never really been else where which is a shame! Most resorts in Cuba are mainly a 3 star no matter how many stars they give them .What time of year did you plan on going away? There are at least 40 great resorts along the beach in Punta Cana so do your home work and good luck.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Cana or Varadero??

We're going at the start of August. We have narrowed it down to the Palladium or Gran Bahia resorts in Punta Cana or the Blau or Iberostar Tainos in Cuba. Like the hotels in Punta Cana but like the idea of having more options to go out for the night in Varadero. Decisions, decisions!

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,197 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Cana or Varadero??

Hells....

As nice as Varadero & Cuba is, and as beautiful & friendly as the people that live and work there are, I would have no hesitation if it were me advising my daughter where the better location would be for her honeymoon/vacation, there is no doubt that it would be Punta Cana.

Having been to both locations, I would not hesitate at all - mind you, your selection of the Iberostar resort in Varadero would certainly be the best resort chain there IMO. Would we return to Cuba - not likely.

There are many resort activities to do in Punta Cana, along with excellent restaurants as well. Mind, you, most of the better resorts in Punta Cana - and some of which you mentioned, also have a vast choice of a la cartes, excellent buffets, a vast choice of nightlife with many bars and on site disco, very good service, that you may find that you would seldom venture off the resort property.

Plus, if you are into sailing the hobbie crafts on your own, like myself, you can do that in Punta Cana but not on your own in Cuba .... to me, that was a big disappointment, but I should have realized that before going!!

The overall quality of the Punta Cana resorts are superior to what is found in Varadero - getting rather outdated with the being exceptions of course.

The price is certainly higher in Punta Cana, but veru well priced IMO and definitely worth it - we all found the beaches in Punta Cana to be superior as well.

I do hope this is of assistance to you.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Lindsay, Canada
Level Contributor
474 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Cana or Varadero??

Just remember its hit or miss but the main months for Hurricane season are Aug. and Sept. in the Carib. and it tends to rain more. Are you going as a wedding party or just the two of you to worry about ? The Grand Palladium is Great ! Been there twice in the last 7 years,but some people say its showing its age. Stayed at the Tryp in Varadera three years ago. Don't go near it!!! Were going to Punta Cana again in late Jan 2012 for two weeks staying at the Catalonia Royal. High price ( $ 5000 for two) but sounds worth it.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,553 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Cana or Varadero??

Been to both as well and for me hands down Punta Cana wins. The hotels in Varadero don't come close to the standards of those in Punta Cana and the beach is also nicer in Punta Cana in my opinion.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Cana or Varadero??

Just the two of us going so hoping for somewhere where we can see a few friendly faces. As long as its warm, we dont mind a bit of rain. Always an excuse to visit the bar or restaurant for shelter!

Brantford...
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Cana or Varadero??

If you are looking to stay put on your resort and enjoy the more polished resorts then go with DR. If you prefer a more cultural experience Cuba by all means is the way to go. We have been to Cuba many times and travelled off resort.

In Varadero we've been to restaurants,bars,markets etc,all friendly with great transportation.A trip to Havana is easy to arrange with lots of options for tours.

For DR you may need malaria medication and the incidence of cholera has risen since it shares the island with Haiti. If you enjoy wine the resorts in Cuba stock Spanish and Chiliean wines of good quality,I've heard many time the wine in DR is terrible!!!! Lots to consider I know but for more Cuba info let me know as we are returning for our 22nd time next week and yes we have been to other places including Mexico,Bahamas,St Martin and cruising but Cuba has become our 2nd home.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Cana or Varadero??

I've never been to Varadero although I've looked at it from time to time - some friends who have been have not liked the food there - but I've heard the beach is gorgeous. Another friend, however, who's been to some very nice 5* resorts in Mexico, went to the Blau and loved it. We've been to the Grand Palladium and the Gran Bahia Ambar - definitely preferred the Ambar (which is adults-only) - but if it's between the Palladium and Bahia Principe I would say that they're pretty much equal. You could also check out the Royal Suites Turquesa which is the adults-only section at the Palladium.

Lindsay, Canada
Level Contributor
474 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta Cana or Varadero??

Canadaval you have been mislead! Never had to take drugs for anything in DR and the wine is Great. Maybe you should splurge and give the DR a try. You don't know what your missing till you try it. If your impressed with Cuba , Punta Cana will blow your mind. They also have trips around to see the country and its nothing like Haiti. Also whats up with the Cholera scare???

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,553 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Punta Cana or Varadero??

Ditto on post #9 ! Canadaval - I see that Punta Cana is not on your list of places you have been. Perhaps you should reserve judgement until you have been and can give a fair comparison of both................