We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I keep my plans for late Jan or go October?

Lisbon
Level Contributor
945 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Should I keep my plans for late Jan or go October?

Hi there,

We usually go to PC March/April, but saw a great deal for mid October 11.

I know it is still hurricane season but how is it generally? Is the weather still hot and humid?

Originally, I was planning to go late January / early February 2012 (this year I want to avoid March because of the Spring break).

I think I will maintain my original plan of going early next year, but just wanted to know your opinion.

Are there any chances in late January to receive cold fronts? We once caught one when we were in Cuba: 2 days with strong wind, decrease in temperatures … nothing special but the beach was a little windy and the ocean rough.

Thanks guys!

Edited: 23 September 2011, 12:50
Summerside
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I keep my plans for late Jan or go October?

We are going on January 25th. This will be our third time going in January and we absolutely love it. You don't get that really intense heat. Days are gorgeous but I must say there are nights when you might want a little sweater or wrap on your shoulders, especially if you got a little too much sun. No spring breakers.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I keep my plans for late Jan or go October?

My first trip was mid October. It was much better weather than this past June but weather is weather, you never know and can't predict it. I preferred my October trip because hotel occupancy was very low. It was humid though. Unless there is a storm near by the sea is fairly calm.

PC isn't affected like Cuba but I've read of some bad weather there during the winter. I guess it can happen anytime. I don't believe PC gets as cold as Cuba so you're safe that way. It can get windy though with rougher seas.

Lisbon
Level Contributor
945 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I keep my plans for late Jan or go October?

Thanks Spudislanders and thanks Marg!..

Marg: you know where I am planning to go! :)

I would go on October and again ealy next year, but for us it is 7 hours in a plane :(

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I keep my plans for late Jan or go October?

We go every October and always have great weather.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I keep my plans for late Jan or go October?

I would go twice if I could. lol

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,954 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I keep my plans for late Jan or go October?

We go every jan, 2nd or 3rd week, and the weather is usually hot and the evenings very nice. Water temps are usually a little cool to first enter then very nice to stay in all day. There is usually a breeze, one year a pretty strong breeze all week. Rain is usually quick and at night. One year did have 2 bad rain days but that is the exception. PC is tropical so it stays warm year round. Our favorite time to go to PC.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,794 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I keep my plans for late Jan or go October?

October is a great time of year to visit Punta Cana! Warm, glorious days and moderate nights with less humidity. Plus you can get some great travel deals!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,553 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I keep my plans for late Jan or go October?

If you see a great deal then I say go for it. Just remember that it is still hurricane season so weather could become an issue. That being said we have been in early Nov and the weather was fine. It wasn't as good as Jan and Feb but it was ok...............

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I keep my plans for late Jan or go October?

We've been taking two trips for the past few years (Nov and March) - if I could only go once and it was between October and January, I'd go in January - but that is because the weather where I live is miserable in January but still quite nice in October.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,954 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I keep my plans for late Jan or go October?

If you would be the kind of person who would worry about the weather forcasts daily or just couldn't deal with a strong storm front that may be approaching PC the go in Jan or Feb. If you can go and have a good time and the weather forecasts doesn't bother you then go in October. Chances are in Oct the weather will be great but it really depends on what bothers you or not.