We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any tips for travel with a 6 month old to punta cana?

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
any tips for travel with a 6 month old to punta cana?

we are having our first family vacation with a little one and were wondering if there are any tips or advice you can offer. we will be staying at the majestic colonial in punta cana. very excited, but dont know what to expect while travelling with a little one.

did this resort have anything or do anything that made it easier for you?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any tips for travel with a 6 month old to punta cana?

While I did not travel there, nor bring a very young baby, I did travel to another resort with a then 3 year old. I would say, to bring one of those blow up pool floats with the canopy for shade. I saw a family with a baby floating their child half the day in the pool, and with the built in shade, it seemed perfect. There are also those type of things for the beach, not the ocean but to play in the sand with. Bring a couple sand toys.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: any tips for travel with a 6 month old to punta cana?

we've been at the sister resort Majestic Elegance this May 2011 with our by then 6 months old Girlie.

bring a Floatie with a Sunroof, they are perfect.

bring light hats for the Baby to protect their Head all the Time when you walk somewhere in the Sun.

Sunblocker for Babies is very important, bring a lot, we used Waterprooved Babysunblocker, worked very well.

bring the baby Car/Buggy, we didn't and missed it, will def bring it next Time, so when the Baby get's tired while you are eating just let Her/Him sleep on your side and enjoy your Meal, our Girlie is now nicely used to such, so we can have dinner with friends out of the house again after 8PM without any inconvenience for the Baby.

bring all Pampers You may need, at the Hotelshops they are outrageously expensive.

we also tried for the first Time those Waterprooved Swimming Pampers, worked out great and we use them since then when swimming with Her in the Ocean here at our House.

we requested from the Majestic Elegance prior to arrival a Baby Cribb and a Kettle, both been available on the Room upon arrival.

we also brought all needed Milk Powder, even that the Girlie decided to love the Pastas and Pizzas and Chicken Breasts, ha ha, we could have almost fed Her without the Milk, but just almost.

we brought several Bottles for the baby Milk and a collection of disposable Bobos(I don't know how the Mouthpiece of a Babybottle is named in English, sorry), so less need to bother sterilizing things, more time to enjoy teh vaca.

I know you will have restrictions on luggage space, for a Family with a little one the suitcases and weight allowances will never be enough, we are easy on that as we live on the Island and just pack the Car with everything filled up, but try to bring the above Items.

we also brought some big extra Towels so she could Nap in the shadow by the Pool at the swim up suite, her own little Play-and Napground.

have Fun with the Family

Mike

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any tips for travel with a 6 month old to punta cana?

thank you soo much for all your advice. you both have made this much easier. we already have the swim diapers, sunscreen, and floaty pool thing so we should be good then. i was wondering what you meant though when you said to bring the car/buggy? did you mean the stroller? if so, we are planning to bring it so it will be easier getting her around everywhere as well so we dont have to carry her in the heat the whole time.

i will also request that we have a kettle, great idea!

one more question then, would you receommend that we request a bottom level floor so we have direct access to the pool so she can nap in the room while we are close by in the pool with a monitor? or would you think a top floor room is best due to the noise on the bottom floor?

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: any tips for travel with a 6 month old to punta cana?

a Stroller is exactly what I meant, but the english word slipped my mind, ha ha.

we've been in a Swimup Suite, Groundfloor of course, it has several advantages.

You do not carry the stroller and the baby and all the other stuff needed for the baby a thousand times a day the stairs up and down, lol, and yes, a big advantage also is that you can enjoy the Pool while the Baby takes a nap.

a monitor may be an other helpful Tool, we didn't use one as our lil Sirene shows her wakeup quiet clearly, no monitor needed as long as we are in a half mile Range around the Bed, lol

Mike

Lisbon
Level Contributor
939 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any tips for travel with a 6 month old to punta cana?

Been to PC with a 16 month old.

It is important to have a good insurance. PC has a very good private hospital, Hospiten, in case of need. But most of Resorts have a Doctor, for smaller issues.

Bring bruffen, anti-diarrheal and those powders to re-hydrate and other meds you use home. Oh, and a very strong sun screen ,of course!

As to the rest, I think Mike and others already gave you some important insights, no need to repeat.

I opted for a smaller resort, so it was easier to walk and have everything close-hand.

Enjoy your holiday.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: any tips for travel with a 6 month old to punta cana?

yes Alexa,

a smaller Hotel as in our case the Majestic Elegance is very comfy, as the Parents have to dragg around quiet a bunch of Stuff all day long, long Distances or several Times loading/unloading all on a Shuttle/lil Resort Train can quiet be some excercise for the Parents.

as long as Darleni is a Baby we will stick to small not typical Kiddies Hotels such as the Elegance, as we love to play with the Baby in a quiet/calm Atmosphere without many small Kiddies splashing around in the Pool all day long.

oooh Yes,

the day will come soon enough when she reaches that Age and we need to change our Priorities for a Hotel, lol.

you will find out very quick that Dominicans love Babies, Your lil one will be taken from You by Wait Staff when entering a restaurant, will be passed around, get's it's sweeties, sometimes at the Restaurants our Meals arrived before even our baby Gal arrived at our Table, ha ha.

they pay very big attention to the Kiddies, and the Kiddies love that of course.

Mike

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: any tips for travel with a 6 month old to punta cana?

i am bringing soap to clean the baby dishes and bottles but did you use their tap water or did you have to boil the water first and then clean them? just dont want her to get sick because she is not used to the water there, even our systems are not used to it so i would hate for her to get a stomach bug from the water...

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: any tips for travel with a 6 month old to punta cana?

we never use Soap for such down here on the Island,

as by the recommendations of our Island Baby Clinics we boil the Water and add some drops of Cloro to any water touching the Baby Thingies, that way any present bacteria the baby isn't used to would be killed before touching the lil One.

Mike

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: any tips for travel with a 6 month old to punta cana?

do you suggest adding chloro to the bath water?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
456 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: any tips for travel with a 6 month old to punta cana?

Take Pedialyte in case baby gets ill and you need to rehydrate, babes dehydrate quickly.