We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prespective!

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,980 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Prespective!

Just putting things into perspective.

Just spent 2 nts at a downtown upper-mid range Halifax hotel at about $200 per night and it was just OK! Nothing special except they do have a good breakfast included! But 1 day 1 of the 2 elevators was broken and I never saw anyone working on it - just a sign saying out of order! Maid left diry glasses out on the tables, old coffee grinds and leftover coffee in the pot, lights were left on and they had turned the A/C down to 5 c!

Went out to supper both nights to more upscale restaurants and the 1st night it was just OK ( at a cost of over $100)- not bad but nothing special. Friend had steak and he said it was just Ok and that he had in fact had better at resorts in Punta Cana including the ME Steakhouse! Had a glass of wine that was no better than some of the house wine we have had in the DR!

So for about $300 just for a room and dinner we had a good experience but the hotel and supper was no better than what we pay alot less for in Punta Cana! In fact the service is usually alot better in the DR!

Just for those who go on about spending alot of money for a AI vaction in Punta Cana and expect everything to be perfect and do nothing but complain when it is not!

ontario
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Prespective!

I've tried telling some friends the same thing. Go downtown Toronto for a night atleast $100 just for a room. Consider the fact you get airfare, shuttle, accomodations and drinks/food for about $1000 a week for an AI its crazy!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
603 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prespective!

Vacationing in DR is way less expensive than vacationing here, at home in Canada. We would love to go back to BC for some more sightseeing but when I add up flight (sooooo expensive), accomodations and meals/drinks it will be more than twice of what I have to spend for carribean vacation.

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prespective!

Ditto USA...which is why we always do Caribbean AI for our vacations!!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,854 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prespective!

I am a few days away from returning to Canada with my family. Toronto????100 to 150 a night...nothing special...not even breakfast...small room overlooking...well....nothing!

BTW...airfare....$720 each...no transfer from the airport...no welcome drink.

Yes...perspective is everything.

Cheers from here

PCMike

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
374 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prespective!

My husband and I were thinking of going to Las Vegas in October for 4 nights - airfare and hotel was $1100 - no food, no drinks!! Instead we are going to Bayahibe DR for $1600 for the two of us - airfare, hotel, airport transfers from SDQ, all food, all drinks, entertainment - what more could you ask for??

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
4,441 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prespective!

Is your housekeeper in the DR being paid close to $ 10.00 or so an hour to clean your room,are your bartenders in the DR being paid that, to serve you your drinks..,gardeners,maintenance, security etc.probably not. Is your hotel paying the same in property /corporate taxes,insurance,compensation,payroll taxes,etc.in the US/Canada/Europe as they are in the DR,probably not..,same as in food,liquor, entertainment taxes/bills,etc..,so yes ,put it into perspective..,it is a lot cheaper to do business in the DR,as with most developing Countries,than in the US/Canada/Europe..,so lets not forget that when you are trying to put things into perspective.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,486 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prespective!

SWNova, if you own a business/hotel here in NorthAmerica then your perspective works,for those of us that don't and only looking at the vacationing aspect of it from a vacationers point of view then the Caribbean is a much better deal. No disrespect intended :-)

Mike, call me when you get here.\

Cheers, debbie

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
4,441 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prespective!

deb ..,that is obvious that the Caribbean is a much better deal..,I am simply pointing out the reasons why..,I am also just looking at it from a vacationers point of view,but also realising what the reality of it is from a business point of view..,costs are way higher in the US/ Canada /Europe to run a hotel/resort based business than in most developing countries..,that is why you get the cheap deals you do..,and not have to pay the higher costs,for all the reasons I listed in my previous post.

I never said it wasn't a better deal..it obviously is..,and for very obvious reasons..,no ?

Edited: 28 September 2011, 05:25
La Ronge, Canada
Level Contributor
2,382 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prespective!

The Caribbean AI may be a less expensive vacation, but everyone should see the east coast of Canada at least once... it is truly beautiful and well worth the money! That's from my perspective anyway!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prespective!

Agree with SWNova; I never find these comparisons particularly useful. To me it is common sense that hotels in the US/Canada/Europe will be much more expensive than hotels in places like the Caribbean and not necessarily offer better quality. We could never afford to stay in the hotels we've stayed at in Mexico and the DR for 14 nights if they were in say London, because the overheads, running costs, taxes etc in London are much much higher. It's a meaningless comparison. If you were comparing Mexico with the DR, or London with NYC, then that's more meaningful.