We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Altos/ Saona vs Saona trip

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Altos/ Saona vs Saona trip

Hi guys,

Any thoughts on the trip to Altos then Saona as against the Saona trip on its own? I have done the Saona Island tour (which we enjoyed) but with my girlfriends folks with us I thought the culture might be a nice mix. It looks interesting on the website but is it just a glorified "shopping stop"?

Many thanks

Kendal

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,997 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Altos/ Saona vs Saona trip

Altos is an odd place - more a film set than a genuine location. As the number of places to visit in the area is a bit limited then it is probably worth a stop. There are a number of small shops (many still selling the same stuff from the 1980's!) and a small musuem + some great views and some bars etc. In it's own way it is quite nice - probbaly best done without a large tour group. I believe these days they charge you to go in.

Vero Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Altos/ Saona vs Saona trip

Altos is unique, regarding the structure of the amphitheater and their scenic views of the river. I enjoyed our brief stay, which was part of a tour, wishing the time alloted was longer to explore the many small art/ gift shops and its' chapel. The atmosphere is quaint, in a stone setting. We were able to take some very nice photos, that we plan on enlarging and framing to use in a home we recently purchased in Florida. In my humble opinion, the stop at Altos De Chavon was the best part of the entire tour, 2nd to our very friendly tour guides.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,436 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Altos/ Saona vs Saona trip

If you vist Altos you need to combine it with something else as I don't think it is worth it to do 2 hour t each way to visit a nice but fake little village with great views.

My suggestion is to combine it with Catalina island, so usually people go snorkelling in the morning at Catalina very popular among divers and snorkellers for the reefs and wall of coral, but also, something interesting, they discovered recently a canyon of Captain Kidd; ship.

They go by boat closer to the coast and visit Casa de Campo Marina (from the boat), enter chavon river which is amazing, go up 300 stairs and reach Altos de Chavon.

That it is a nice combination of day out.

And if you use a taxi boat from the village will work even better as you choose your own time table.

For that you need to leave from Bayahibe village, just before Chavon

If you still just want to go by land, in La Romana you can visit the cigar factory.

I hope I inspired you

4. Re: Altos/ Saona vs Saona trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 19:19