We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jelly fish stings?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
711 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
jelly fish stings?

good morning, was talking to a friend over turkey dinner last nite, saying he will never go back to cuba, because of all the jellyfish around. so I said go to punta cana, there are no jellyfish. I hope i didnt steer him wrong..., We've been there 5 times without incident, and have never heard of any such stories.

Anyone encountered jellyfish stings lately?

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
15,205 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jelly fish stings?

Been there 28 times and never saw a jelly fish.

Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,100 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jelly fish stings?

Never saw one in DR, but...

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,142 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jelly fish stings?

Gee... that's a tough promise to make. Jellies come and go. The next time this person went to Cuba, there might have been none. No barriers in the sea... they can and will go wherever the currents and tides bring them.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jelly fish stings?

Last October I encountered several jelly fish while staying at Majestic Elegance. They were a deep purple and nothing like I have seen in Atlantic Canada. They stung and left deep welts. I swim in the Atlantic and am used to jelly fish but these were totally different. I have been to Punta Cana several times since then and have never seen them again.

Brampton
Level Contributor
992 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jelly fish stings?

I've been to Punta Cana 4 times. Twice in Decebmer, Once in October and once in March. Never a single jelly fish.

boston
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: jelly fish stings?

Last year at majestic I also seen those purple jelly fish, one day I believe they might have even closed the beach, or had warnings. That was the only time in many trips to punta cana, like said, its the ocean what's one day, may not be tomorrow. I wouldn't worry about being stung, I hear if you pee on them it helps, and I I'm always full of enough rum and presidente's if that occasions arises.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
379 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jelly fish stings?

My wife got stung lightly about 5 years ago out in front of the PCP. The girls in the restaurant gave her a vinegar soaked cloth to wash the stung area with. They too suggested that if it happened again I should pee on her :-) We've been to the D.R. 11 times and that was the only time we saw one. Almost as many times a mosquitos.

winnipeg
Level Contributor
495 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jelly fish stings?

12 Times never saw one Yet. Cheers Tim

SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: jelly fish stings?

Jellyfish are everywhere but rely upon wind and currents for travel. The DR has them but it depends a lot on if the wind and seas send them your way.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
711 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: jelly fish stings?

realize jellyfish are everywhere...., have never witnessed or heard of any stories of people getting the sting,,,,