We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All inclusives Punta Cana

ontario
Level Contributor
180 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
All inclusives Punta Cana

Hi, hope you can point me in the right direction. We'd like to visit Punta Cana in January. I've never booked at an AI before so I was wondering if there are any hidden things I should know about! Is it best to go through an agent, or is online ok (If so what Canadian sites would have the best deals?)

Thanks for your help, and if you have any recommendations of where to stay, i'd appreciate it as the selection is overwhelming!

Ajijic, Mexico
Level Contributor
795 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All inclusives Punta Cana

I've always booked online (through Transat) without problems but others here swear by use of a travel agent. Travel agents don't cost you anything so you may want to explore that option first.

As to where to stay - the selection *is* overwhelming. Try to make a list of the things that are most important to you and that will help people to guide you in the right direction. Are you looking for Adults Only? A lively place with lots of nightlife or something laid back and quiet? How important is the quality of food to you? Liquor? Are you more of a beach person or a pool person? Those sorts of things.

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,614 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All inclusives Punta Cana

For a good comparison of prices try tripcentral.com or itravel2000.com

These sites list a number of different carriers such as Sunwing, Air Transat and Westjet and you can comparison shop. When I have a handle on what I want, then I see my travel agent for personalized service and she is able to price match the best deal I have found on-line.

Edited: 25 October 2011, 23:57
Leeds, Engalnd
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All inclusives Punta Cana

hey for recommendations you really need to be more specific on wot your wants and needs are for the hotel i'e great beach, adults only etc ........there are so many hotels and everyone on here has there favourtie :-)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All inclusives Punta Cana

We booked our first trip with an agent and then subsequent trips online. I've used redtag.ca as well as itravel2000.

One year, I made the mistake of booking with "GoTravelSouth" and they subsequently went bankrupt. Luckily, I got my money back from Visa, but I then found out that bookings should only be made with travel agencies registered with TICO:

tico.asicanada.net/source/custom/search.cfm

Edited: 26 October 2011, 15:00
Brampton
Level Contributor
970 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All inclusives Punta Cana

I mostly use selloffvacations.com, it's a great site for all inclusive vacations and other types of holidays aswell.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All inclusives Punta Cana

ALWAYS compare prices thru Cheapcaribbean, TNT, Vacmart, Orbitz, etc.

Kincardine, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All inclusives Punta Cana

Bob, those sites are not the best choices for Canadians. I just ran a couple of trips through them using Toronto as a departure point and they show trips that are significantly more expensive than using a Canadian site, plus they want me to take American-based airlines.

Muddypuppy, my husband and I always use escapes.ca to track prices, then have our travel agent book at the price we like best. Escapes is based in BC, so I feel more comfortable using an Ontario-based travel agent that's TICO certified, just in case something goes wrong. I just like the way Escapes lays out the search results so you can easily get an idea of what tour operator has the best price.

Best of luck!

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All inclusives Punta Cana

try breakawayonline.ca based in Ontario Canada and gives you an extra discount if you book by phone or in person on most packages ( not west jet, not under 500 $)

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,614 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All inclusives Punta Cana

Also watch the bottom line. Westjet often has a higher base price than some charter carriers, but their "taxes" are lower and you can actually end up cheaper than the charters Sunwing, Air Transat, etc. I like using sites that show the prices with taxes included, as is the case with tripcentral.

ontario
Level Contributor
180 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All inclusives Punta Cana

Wow, thanks so much everyone! This is so helpful.

I guess what we're looking for is a clean place with nice beach, awesome pool, good food (veg friendly and we're not picky, rice'n beans would be perfect), places to walk to, maybe some water sports. I'd like to keep it under 1200 per person if possible (including airfare)

We don't want to be in a real party place, nor be around a tons of children (some is ok).