We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria

Traveling to Punta Cana in December, with daughter who will be 11 months, her pediatrician recommended I give her malaria pill, and advised myself and husband to as well. Anyone traveling from the US have the same advice? Thank you.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria

You need to listen to your Doc but you might ask him where he is getting his information from. As the CDC does not reccomend it for the PC area. There have been NO recent cases (years) in the PC area.

Almost no one from the US takes meds while visitning here and I know of no one who lives here who takes them.

If you are from the UK or Canada almost all are told to take them and if you dont it may void yoru health insurance from those countries.

BObK

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,840 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria

Actually only "Travel Doctors" tell Canadians to take the Malaria pills, regular doctors not so much. I too wonder where they get their information.... Travel Doctors are only paid when dispensing travel medication and shots etc so I can see why they prescribe.... our (Canadian) policys are not void if we don't take them, that's usually reserved for the British travellers.

You have to do what YOU feel comfortable with and I wouldn't take advice from a travel forum full of strangers regarding my health either. But... I would advise you to read up fully on the side effects of these medications beforehand.

Cheers and happy travels,

Debbie

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,976 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria

Can only speak from personal experience...never taken anything, never caught anything....do not know of a single acquaintance or extended family member here who has come into contact with malaria. Living the island life since 2004.

But...each to their own.

Cheers

PCMike

Boston
Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria

My pediatrician said she read the info on the CDC website, and that it included resort areas. She's also telling me to get the MMR vaacine for my daughter, CDC is recommending it for all children traveling outside the US.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,976 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria

Actually the MMR vaccine is usually administered back home for many reasons...not a travel issue.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria

I am with PC Mike on this one.

I think the health people are over cautious (often for good reason) and I would question the source of their data. The UK NHS web site says there is a chance of catching malaria in the Dominican Republic in "game parks".

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,840 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria

I thought the MMR was routine and mandatory travelling or not? As Mike said, not a travel issue at all.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,840 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria

Still, I'd read up on any medication your "doctor" says to take, I do it here all the time and decide for myself. You can also enter "Malaria" in the search box above and you'll read lots of discussions / arguments for and against taking medication.

I actually despise this topic, it's kinda along the line of what is the best restaurant, should I eat there or not?

Boston
Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria

The MMR is usually adminstered between 12-15 months, and the CDC came out with a new recommendation on Monday (my doctor got an email) that children under 12 months traveling abroad need to get an MMR vaccine, and that dose is not counted, they will still need another one after 12 months.

newfoundland
Level Contributor
122 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria

I took the pills. Recommended by my family doctor. They made me sick!!! Will I take them again this year??? Not decided yet.