We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do I take............????????????

Liverpool
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What do I take............????????????

Hi

This is the first trip to the Dominican and very much looking forward to it. My question is how to take my spends -

Travellers Cheques (Sterling or Dollars??) and are they easy to change?

American Dollars?

Peso's??

I am staying at a Rui in Punta Cana if that helps anyone answer my question. I know that I have to take dollars for airport taxes but can anyone offer any further advice??

Many thanks

Jon

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do I take............????????????

usdollars

Liverpool
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do I take............????????????

Thanks for your reply - why would you say dollars? Is there any particular reason?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,991 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What do I take............????????????

If you are staying in the resort you'll have little need for any money other than tips which the staff will appreciate in any currency although it is better to give them pesos.

Your BPS will change easily into pesos if you go off resort at banks or money stores. Excursions are priced in dollars because the peso is a falling currency so they make more that way. You can pay in pesos and some will take your BPS but the exchange may not be so good.

If you have dollars bring some above and beyond the entry/exit fees, if not you could change BPS into pesos or use an ATM for pesos for tips/etc.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do I take............????????????

Unless you are in town at a local restaurant and want to pay in pesos, american money is fine. I always take $100.00 in ones and $100.00 in 5's & 10's to have for tipping, taxi's, etc.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,991 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What do I take............????????????

The OP is in the UK where sandwiches are skinny and British Pounds Sterling are the money. Change BPS to pesos for the least hassle.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do I take............????????????

we never take anything except $$ , they are used everywhere. take mostly $1 bills and 5's unless you are planning on paying for excursions with bills . if paying them with your credit card make sure you let the bank know or the card will get stopped as soon as you try to use it. not many places are going to be able to change travelers checks. any cash will be safe in your room safe.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What do I take............????????????

Also from UK. I always use dollars, Most things in resort are priced as such although you can also obviously pay is Pesos. Travellers cheques are stupidly difficult to cash!! As with most currencies in the current climate, the peso is vulnerable to fluctuating. If you take dollars, you can more or less guarantee your prices wont change from day to day.

Kendal

winnipeg
Level Contributor
488 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do I take............????????????

Inside the Resort Use US outside get pesos

if possible , The front desk can do this for you

Cheers tim

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do I take............????????????

When you change sterling in to dollars, you lose a bit

When you change dollars in to pesos, you lose a bit

When you come home and change the remaining dollars in to sterling, you lose a bit.

Take sterling, change in to pesos... simples!

The only good reason for taking US$ if you are from the UK, is that $1 bills are a nice note for tipping. Anything else and you are just wasting money.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do I take............????????????

Take US dollars $$ easy and simple