We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunscreen Reccomendations for Pregnant Ladies

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brampton
Level Contributor
970 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sunscreen Reccomendations for Pregnant Ladies

Anyone?

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunscreen Reccomendations for Pregnant Ladies

Hiya,

Some women get what we call in Dutch a ‘pregnancy mask’ it is a hormonal thing that can make your face and sometimes shoulders turn darker brown than the rest of you.

But of course not in a nice even way that might actually look good but in a patchy kind a way that does not flatter anyone.

Using sunscreen does not always help but you need to use it straight way, once it starts developing it will quickly get worse.

Just like a normal tan the colour will fade once you get back but it might take a full year for it to completely fade.

Also once you had it it can occur in a milder form for years.

It is not harmful in any way just not very nice.

Keep a real good check on your forehead at the top about a cm under your hairline, that is where it usually starts (cheeks and side burns are also starting places).

If you see yourself getting ‘tanned’ fast there do keep your face in the shade after that at all times.

You might just want to buy a nice hat and keep your face out of the sun a little that way.

Amy

murillo
Level Contributor
5,713 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunscreen Reccomendations for Pregnant Ladies

Your not really worried about your face ... are you ....Ask you doctor. I always thought that anything over 30 doesn't do any more for you . I like the creams that have a color to them for the first while so you can see what you missed .....

Brampton
Level Contributor
970 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunscreen Reccomendations for Pregnant Ladies

It's not that I'm worried about my face...

I have heard and read that many sunscreen products contain ingredients that could be harmful for your unborn child; with that said I was curious to see what other pregnant ladies use for sunscreen. I normally use Hawaiian topic but apparantly that is a no no.

Lisbon
Level Contributor
928 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunscreen Reccomendations for Pregnant Ladies

Stella,

I've used "normal" sunscreen, bought in the Pharmacy, not in Supermarket.

I think you will not have a problem, but talk to the Pharmacist or mentioned it to your Doctor during your next call.

Relax and Enjoy your calm holiday because... after your baby is born the time to relax will not be substantial :DD

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunscreen Reccomendations for Pregnant Ladies

Hi,

I know you are not worried about your face, fully understand your question was foremost about the baby's safety but my friend had a ‘mask’ and believe me, she would have loved to have know about it before it happened.

Amy

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,525 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunscreen Reccomendations for Pregnant Ladies

Take a look at Ombrelle - the "ingredients" are different than other sunscreens and it works amazing. My doctor recommended it because I got a terrible rash from all other sunscreens I tried - the Ombrelle is amazing.

Brampton
Level Contributor
970 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunscreen Reccomendations for Pregnant Ladies

Amy,

I apprecaite your response I was commenting on Bombero's post.

I fully want to protect my whole body :-) baby and face too.

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,795 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunscreen Reccomendations for Pregnant Ladies

a good read

parentcentral.ca/parent/babiespregnancy/preg…

ivillage.ca/pregnancy/suncreen-pregnant-wome…

and a better read with recommendations is here smartmommyhealthybaby.com/smart-mommy/sunscr…

9. Re: Sunscreen Reccomendations for Pregnant Ladies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2012, 05:17