We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Room upgrades?

TORONTO
Level Contributor
337 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Room upgrades?

Has anyone upgraded their room upon arrival their resort? I know there is always the avail. Factor but I was wondering the success rate of trying to get this task accomplished. I tried with travel agent he said no wIt upon arrival, tried contacting resort ahead of time and was told try upon avail.... Now I'm asking TRip Advisor members .... Give me some tips on this task lol

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Room upgrades?

I always book the room catagory I want in the first place and hope it is available when I get there!

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Room upgrades?

The room category is not always available through your tour company. I had this problem last April. We travelled with Sunwing who only offered the Bavaro section of the Bahia Principe with no upgrades. We were told to try upon arrival, but we were travelling Easter and they were unable to give us two Diamond Club upgrade rooms in the same building, which we needed. We would have enjoyed the extra perks but the resort was beautiful and we had a great holiday anyway.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Room upgrades?

I got the same 'problem' the room or section of a resort that I want is not always book-able through a TA and it is much more expensive to book separate.

I make sure that I know I will like the room I was able to book so if an upgrade cant be bought I dont end up unhappy and then I mail the resort as soon as I booked and most of the time things work out swell after that.

Amy

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,685 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Room upgrades?

We travelled with Sunwing 2 years ago to Mexico and tried to upgrade at the hotel, were told, sorry not allowed. Sunwing is notorious for having the worst rooms in the worst locations. I will never travel with them again.

We always book our upgrade from home, this year we are at the GBP Punta Cana and have booked Royal Golden.

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Room upgrades?

on our first trip to PC we booked with Sunwing for the GP punta cana section with the idea to upgrade to the RST which at the time was very pricy as only air transat had it, we did manage to upgrade and it was cheaper then if we had booked from home, that said it was 3 1/2 years ago

Stony Plain, Canada
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Room upgrades?

Do you think if you offered the desk clerk a $20 tip that he/she would give you and upgraded room? Just asking, as sometimes this works in Las Vegas.

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
4,160 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Room upgrades?

Most resorts in PC will fire any desk clerk that accepts $ from a customer for an upgrade. The resort either has upgrades for sale or it doesn't. Similarly, the resort either has complimentary upgrades available or it doesn't.

8. Re: Room upgrades?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2012, 10:28