We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is all wine in the dominican bad?

Ajax, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
is all wine in the dominican bad?

Was wondering if the domestic wine they serve at most of the resorts still tastes like your drinking vinigar. We spent a week at the Bahia Principe and the red and white wine was undrinkable.

We are thinking of bookinga week at one of the Riu's and was wondering if its any better there.Why I ask is because it's the only thing my wife drinks..

Thank in advance

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is all wine in the dominican bad?

I would not say so....I think it depends on the resort maybe.

I have had both good and bad wine at resorts. Sometimes so bad that we had to BUY bottles of wine for dinner.

We stayed at the Melia one year in Royal Service and we found the house wine in the RS restaurants to be excellent and the house wine in the regular section to be kind of painful.

I think it would be difficult to make a general response...and probably really depends on the resort.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,537 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is all wine in the dominican bad?

We do not produce any wine here. Sorry...cannot peg it on the country. Just like home, you can buy bottles from around the world here if you so choose.

CHeers

PCMIke

punta cana
Level Contributor
114 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is all wine in the dominican bad?

Neyba thats where some wine is produced,Ney Blanco, Ney Rosé y Ribera del Panzo. But due too the lack of interest of government the people struggle with production and infrastructure

than you have moscatel caballo blanco,vino tinto la fuerza,vino samson y gitano 18, el canario some taste like sss...... others like sangria

special wines: wine made from cacao or pineapple most of them home made

But at the Hotel you will get Spanish or wines from Chili, some of good and others from regular quality

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,305 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is all wine in the dominican bad?

In PC we have had Australian, Californian, Chilean, Argentinian, French & Spanish as part of the AI package

As Mike says DR is not a wine producing country - beer, yes - wine, no

If you get wine that is not to your liking try asking if they have something else

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,354 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is all wine in the dominican bad?

Most of the house brand wines (vol de plata and el Gato both produced here from imported "juice") make a bad cooking wine and basically non drinable.

You can get imported wines from Italiy, Spain, Chile and US but but at a higher price then back home.

BObK

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is all wine in the dominican bad?

Nearly all the AI's I have been to have had either Spanish, Chilean, Argentinian or similar wines included. The Reds are always drinkable but the Whites which I don't normally drink are not so good.

The pay for wines are usually a bit of a rip-off so we don't bother with them. The free AI Cava's are usually reasonable to drink too - always Spanish.

As most of the Hotel groups are Spanish I find most of the wine is from there too.

snooks

Mississauga
Level Contributor
818 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is all wine in the dominican bad?

The one thing I noticed, was that the wine got much better after each glass you finnished ....lol.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is all wine in the dominican bad?

Wine, like food, is very subject. What one person thinks is acceptable another will not be able to drink. There's no way of knowing what you like until you try it.

Brampton
Level Contributor
970 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is all wine in the dominican bad?

luvs2travel,

Bring a couple bottles of own wine with you. That's what I usually do so if the wine ends up being horrible you have a couple of bottles that you like.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
211 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is all wine in the dominican bad?

I've never enjoyed the wine at Gran Bahia, even at Esmeralda. I am planning on bringing 4-6 bottles with me for the next trip, the first week of January. For the price we pay to go to GB, I wouldn't expect them to have a show-stopping wine selection. I'm totally ok with that. Honestly, I don't think I've ever been to an AI with amazing wines that were included in the package, and I don't want to pay extra for the other wines they offer when I have much better in my "cellar!"