We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices much higher this year?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Prices much higher this year?

Is it just me, or are prices much higher this year? Last year enjoyed Ambar in January, checking trips this year for the same place at the same time I see prices are up about 30%.

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prices much higher this year?

Have been looking in DR and Cuba, and I agree prices seem silly in January. My expectation is that they will come down after Christmas or possibly the New Year. From here all the packages to Majestic Elegance seem to be gone for January. Makes me wonder if there were not some large bookings or something.

Ajijic, Mexico
Level Contributor
795 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prices much higher this year?

moved our usual jan/feb trip to ambar to now partly because the prices were significantly higher in high season. i would say 30% was accurate.

murillo
Level Contributor
6,322 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prices much higher this year?

$1000 or more for 10 days for us up from last year .

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prices much higher this year?

tour operators already said early spring will be the best time to book as there will be no deep discounting last minute deals this year,,

time will tell, but i bet to be fiscally responsible they are telling the truth,,

interesting to see if/how this affects the hotels

Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prices much higher this year?

Same trip as last year is now about 900 more to PC.

Our October trip to Jamaica was cancelled because it was 1200 more for the exact same trip as last year

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Prices much higher this year?

So it's not just me. Last year from Ottawa to Ambar in third week January, for two it cost $2600 all in (discounted from $3000). This year same trip is $3400 with no sign of discounting yet. Interesting this is happenning in a bad economy.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prices much higher this year?

It's the same in the UK. No more last minute deals anymore, in fact they go up and up for us.

Xmas is completely sold out too.

It maybe also because one of our largest Travel Companies (Thomas Cook) has been in trouble leaving very little competition.

I have been booking them early since a year ago until it changes.

snooks

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prices much higher this year?

Well we booked early and we paid less this year for 2 weeks at the ME then we did for the same resort in January last year.

I think those getting caught are those that waited for last minute deals. As mentioned in another post - last minute deals are not happening like they did before.

Steve it's because of the bad economy that the tour companies can not offer big deals. They have bills to pay too. Therefore they are more apt to combine flights or even cancel some then to schedule a flight that is only half full, then sell off the other seats at a discount.

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prices much higher this year?

totally agree with sackie,, it is because of the tough enonomy that this is happening,, why sell if its not for profit,,

and I like sackie did very well booking early,, been along tome since i got a deal like this,,

was so good doing 2 weeks this year insted of one

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Prices much higher this year?

Have to agree with Sackie and northern - I am actually seeing better prices this year than in previous years and booked early for a better rate than I could get last year . Departing from a small city on the east coast - these are the best prices we have had yet which is a good reflection of the 'expected cost' as we don't get the standard sales from this city. Right now many of our prices are less than departures from the bigger centers - indicating the typical discounts and sales which apply to the larger city departures from time to time are not showing up at the moment - but they will come.

I think people get too hung up on "resort X, departing date X - and what did I pay last year - what do I see reflecting on the price today" and make a determination from that. Was the price you paid last year the price that was generally available everyday for months? - or was it something you booked when there was a sale going on - or last minute etc?