We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best price for a single traveler?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
763 posts
Save Topic
Best price for a single traveler?

We are booked at the Grand Bavara Esmeralda Jan 27th for 7 nights, trying to book my sister now traveling from Dallas, and every site says price per person is charging me for 2 people. How does a single traveler book at an AI without paying a fortune?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best price for a single traveler?

Single supplements are a killer, specially in high season. Every resort has it, some worse than others. There's no way around it that I know of.

canada
Level Contributor
4,018 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best price for a single traveler?

if you are ok with it..you can call your TA and have her added to your room.. that is the only way around her paying a single supplement....hey..it can be JUST like UNI...hang a sock on your door..lol

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best price for a single traveler?

I just use the Applevacations site, and put in 1 adult, 1 room and check out the prices for solo traveler.

Then I check out the per person price for 2 adults in one room, and compare.

the single supplement ranges from an additional 30% to an additional 100% depending on which resort and dates of travel.

So when traveling solo I choose one of the resorts with the lower % supplement, as they seem more interested in accomodating solo travelers.

The good thing is you can often get a single airline seat for a good price when there's no two seats together left on the plane.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best price for a single traveler?

Vacation Total: $2,481.70

Air & Hotel: $2331.00

Taxes & Fees: $150.70

Hotel Name: BAHIA PRINCIPE ESMERALDA

Check-in: Friday, January 27, 2012 Check Out: Friday, February 3, 2012

Room 1 Type: JUNIOR SUITE DELUXE (All Inclusive)

Number of travelers: 1 Adults

Mentioned in this post
Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda
Luxury Bahia Principe...
7,428 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
763 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best price for a single traveler?

Total $2400 for one person, that is more than I paid for 3 of us from Calgary and it's miles more away. Does anyone know if booking thru the US do they have last minute deals as good as the ones out of Calgary. Wondering if I wait till last minute if it gets any cheaper for her.

Thanks everyone.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best price for a single traveler?

That price was lower last month,and availability may be getting limited, so they can raise the prices.

Also lower on some other days of the week.

You only get last minute deals when they are having trouble filling the room basically.

7. Re: Best price for a single traveler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2013, 10:20