We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't Fly Sunwing from Canada!

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alberta
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Don't Fly Sunwing from Canada!

I just checked the fine print at the Sunwing site. They only allow 5 kg for a carry on. If you go over that they will force you to check it at a rate of $10 per kg. All of it, not just the amount you are over. This is ridiculous as the lightest real carry-on bag that meets airline limits for size will weigh 3 kg empty. I have one that weighs 4.5 kg empty.

Sunwing is also the only carrier that does not cover your in and out airport tax in Dominican Republic. So, if you have a choice fly with anybody else. Transat, Nolitours, and I believe AC and Westjet do not have these ridiculous restrictions.

Toronto
Level Contributor
970 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't Fly Sunwing from Canada!

fill your pockets with your heavy stuff

Edmundston, Canada
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't Fly Sunwing from Canada!

RonAKA,

I just replied to this post on the Cuba forum. I just wanted to say that the reason we flew with Sunwing last year is because they were the only carrier offering Punta Cana Princess. We did not have any problems with our carry-ons, we use knapsacks for our carry-ons and they didn't even weigh them.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't Fly Sunwing from Canada!

Yeah, Sunwing's carry on allowance sucks.

I usually try to go as much carry-on as possible, but we are flying Sunwing this time, and I'm having a hard time trimming down my camera bag to 5Kg. My full camera bag weighs 7-10 Kgs depending on what I pack.

And, they only allow 1 carry on item, where most others allow 2, with a much more generous weight allowance.

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't Fly Sunwing from Canada!

Haven't had a problem with Sunwing. They didn't even weigh our carry-ons last April and we thought their service (for a charter) was great. The deal we got for Bahia was so ridiculously good we had to take it.

Toronto
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't Fly Sunwing from Canada!

Sorry to hear about your problem. We have used Sungwing a couple of times with no problems as far as carry on, we do try to travel light.

My only issue on our last trip with them was how cramped the plane was, we arent big people, and the seats were very tight. I couldn't even get my carryon under the seat!

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't Fly Sunwing from Canada!

vjm, Transat, when they fly their own planes, use Airbus. I recall Airbus spaces their seats about 1" more apart (side to side compared to Boeing), giving more room. However each airline will squeeze front to back differently. Charters are going to push it of course.

Toronto
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't Fly Sunwing from Canada!

Actually we prefer to use Air Transat and are flying with them next week to Mexico. I like that you can upgrade to Option Plus, or Club. We wound up on

SunWing because Transat didn;'t have the package we wanted at the time.

Toronto
Level Contributor
970 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't Fly Sunwing from Canada!

We booked Sunwing and took their upgrade. The extra baggage weight (ie 30 kgs checked baggage), preselected seat and more legroom PLUS a $50 voucher for future travel was a decent deal IMHO. Heck, for us the extra checked baggage weight was worth it by itself.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,843 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't Fly Sunwing from Canada!

To be honest something does need to be done about what people take as carry-ons anyway! You see some people entering the plane with a 'carry-on' as big as my suitcase! Plus they have 2 or 3 other items with them too.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't Fly Sunwing from Canada!

I expect like most of us you booked what was the cheapest carrier option for your trip - like all things in life - that will come with compromises in one form or another.

With a carry-on bag that weighs 4.5Kg (10lbs) empty - you are looking to bring on a standard 20 or 21 inch full size carry-on suitcase.Charters (typically 100% full) are not flights that allow that level of carryon for all it's passengers.