We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TORN... Majestic Colonial or Catalonia Yucatan/Riveria

Courtice, Canada
Level Contributor
335 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
TORN... Majestic Colonial or Catalonia Yucatan/Riveria

I am really torn deciding on a resort for our March Break trip (our March Break is 1 week earlier than most)...

Last year we spent March Break at Catalonia Yucatan/Riveria in Mexico. Loved the resort, loved the size, loved the suite (upgrade), and the food was great too. This was our first AI as a family.

DH and I are visiting the DR for the first time next month without the kids, staying at the Catalonia Royal.

So do we return to the Catalonia Yucatan / Riveria for our 2nd stay, or do we try Majestic Colonial?

Has anyone here by chance been to both properties?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TORN... Majestic Colonial or Catalonia Yucatan/Riveria

If you're going to Cat Royal next month check out the family Bavaro side. If you like the beach then I'd ask the customer relations to show you the Privileged rooms, if one is available to show.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TORN... Majestic Colonial or Catalonia Yucatan/Riveria

We visited the very large Palladium resort in the Mayan Rivera a few years ago. Their pool was the largest we'd seen. The food was quite good. The down stroke was the beach. It was OK, but too many rocks and nowhere near as long, as beautiful and as white as Punta Cana. The long soft sanded beach is what keeps bringing us back to PC. The Majestic Colonial is a lovely tropical style hotel and not too big. I looked forward to your review on the Catalonia Royal it is on our list to try. JW

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,794 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TORN... Majestic Colonial or Catalonia Yucatan/Riveria

twolittle:

The CAT Riveria Maya/Yucatan is a compact, family-oriented resort on a quiet, snorkel-friendly cove in a gated community within walking distance to the shops & eateries & marina within Puerto Aventuras. It has a very high return guest ratio as many people - like you - absolutely love it!

Realizing that there are also many fans of the Majestic Colonial, simply to play "devil's advocate" for a moment and answer your inquiry, you will find the Majestic Colonial to be a huge resort in comparison. It is on a much more wave-active stretch of beach and you cannot simply walk off the complex to visit other sites as it is fairly remote and Punta Cana does not possess the tourism infrastructure that you experienced in Mexico. Even the food and beverage quality will not come close to what you experienced at the CAT. For everything you loved about the CAT RM/Yucatan, you might not like about the Majestic Colonial.

But Punta Cana is a wonderful alternative destination to add to your travel experience, and you should have a wonderful time at the adult-only CAT Royal! Be sure to explore the adjoining CAT Bavaro, as it may be the perfect property to return to with your kids as an alternative to the CAT in Mexico!

Happy Travels!

Courtice, Canada
Level Contributor
335 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TORN... Majestic Colonial or Catalonia Yucatan/Riveria

Thanks for the replies so far - keep them coming!

Honestly not interested in the family side of the CAT in Punta Cana.

I know the kids would LOVE the pool at the Colonial, plus it would be a new experience for them going to the DR. I'm worried about having 2 cots in our room (they are 7 and 9) and lack of privacy for the bathroom.

Toronto,ON
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TORN... Majestic Colonial or Catalonia Yucatan/Riveria

I was at the CAT Yucatan in upgraded section in January 2011 and to the Majestic Elegance not the Colonial in April 2011. The beach is nice at the Colonial/Elegance and the resorts are newer but I have to say I preferred the CAT Yucatan. It was also less expensive for us as well. The food was much better at the CAT and there was so much to do off resort without paying for organized tours per person. In Punta Cana there is limited off resort activity compared to Mayan.

I am not sure if you walked with your kids over to the dolphin marina and shops kind of next door to the CAT but I as an adult loved it. No charge to watch and walk around only pay to swim with the dolphins. You can also take a cab to Playa for less then $20. My husband and brother did snorkeling right at the CAT and were surprised by all they could see without leaving the resort.

We have been to the Dominican 6 times and will return again. We love both Punta Cana and Mayan but Mayan is the place to be for lots to do and great food. The CAT was a great cheaper vacation with lots to do. I would return there before the ME.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TORN... Majestic Colonial or Catalonia Yucatan/Riveria

Cat Yucatan is on my watch list. If I see a good deal I'm on it. I like the area it's in and loved watching the dolphins.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TORN... Majestic Colonial or Catalonia Yucatan/Riveria

I went to the Majestic Colonial a couple of years ago, we just love the resort , kind of wishing we were going again this year, but we decided to try another resort to see if we would like it to ..

The beach is really nice and the staff was really nice and friendly , I love the long pool area , we spend our days there most of the time ..

The room were clean , we had no problem what so ever there , beside I love Punta Cana ..

We were in Mexico last April at the Gran Bahia Principe Royal Golden section , it was nice and a very big resort and you could go to the other two resorts in the area , it was nice , I found the beach front very rocky and could not go into the water with out shoes on ..

We will be going to the Gran Bahia Principe Royal Golden in Punta Cana in 21 days so looking forward to seeing what this resort is like !

All the best of what you decide to go to , have fun !

Debbie

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
290 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TORN... Majestic Colonial or Catalonia Yucatan/Riveria

We stayed at the Catalonia Yucatan/Riviera Maya in March 2011. Loved It! Favourite of all the places we have been fortunate enough to visit. It was the first place we have been to I would even consider taking my son to.

For 2012 we are going to the Majestic Colonial. We watched this property for the last few years and it finally fell within our price range so we booked.

We have been to Punta Cana before (Palladium) and really enjoyed it. The beach is amazing as are the people of the DR.

The reviews for the Colonial are right on par with what we saw for the Cat last year and the traveller photo's are excellent. It looks like a place I may also be comfortable taking my son. We shall see.

We plan to return to the Cat someday but there are so many places and experiences to be had why not take a chance on something new.

Oh and, we have a ground floor swim up room booked so the bathroom privacy thing is an issue for us too. I plan to go to the dollar store, buy a shower curtain and hang it up with tape as needed. With respect to the cots, we did that in Puerto Plata when both kids travelled with us, no biggie. You're not in the room that much and it gives you a chance to spend quality time on your terrace or balcony enjoying the warmth and scenery.

I'm not sure any rooms would compare with the suites at the Cat :). Amazing!

I will certainy post a review when we return.

9. Re: TORN... Majestic Colonial or Catalonia Yucatan/Riveria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2013, 10:19