We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Occidental Grand

Alberton, Canada
Level Contributor
520 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Occidental Grand

I am wondering if this a good resort . Planning to go with air transat and get a preferrence package. All replies appreciated, tks.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,792 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Occidental Grand

This is one of the area's original resorts, and while it is alittle older and may not have the highest hotel rating, it is on a spectacular beachfront location. It prices-out very well and is a favorite with the younger crowd especially as guests receive complimentary admission to Punta Cana's popular Mangu Disco, which is literally just outside the main entry to the resort. The preference package is an excellent idea!

Hope this helps!

Alberton, Canada
Level Contributor
520 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Occidental Grand

Tks, anyone else have some comments?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Occidental Grand

Sorry no comments on the resort, except that I'm going next month! Friends of mine went there 2 years ago and loved it which is why we booked. The price was right! :)

halifax
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Occidental Grand

We were there 2 years ago and loved this resort .You can get around easy and the food was good the rooms were great and the beach was beautiful

Shediac, Canada
Level Contributor
738 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Occidental Grand

Hi, we were there last April with Air Transat Preference Club ... loved it, private beach area complete with awesome bartender Franklin ... buffett's and pizza were great ... 2 very large pools, one with bar one quieter (runs in front of preference club buildings, great for laying on a floatie in the late afternoon and chillin') loved the lobby, great for pre supper gathering and after the evening shows (have music, and such after the shows) If the Mangu disco would be our thing it's right there ... rooms were clean and spacious, bed was very comfortable, ... preference buildings are 1 minute from beach and 5 min from lobby. Nice compact resort. Beach buffet, awesome. All open air right on beach ... you can participate in games over on the main beach area .. swimming, a bit of a strong pull but waves were fantastic ... we are returning this year April 23, already doing the count down. (3rd floor rooms are nice if you have strong knees for going up and down the stairs ) (we don't, lol) there are timeshare guys just say no thanks. Also the guy that sits in the lobby of your building is a time share/excursion seller, not the concierge/butler, do not ask him for anything. If there is any problem go right to the rep in the lobby. If you have any questions feel free to ask. HJB

Alberton, Canada
Level Contributor
520 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Occidental Grand

Did anyone or everyone use preference club thru air transat? Is it worth the extra? Seems to be a lot of negative reviews if you don't go that way.

halifax
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Occidental Grand

Don,t listen to the negative reviews it,s a great resort

Alberton, Canada
Level Contributor
520 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Occidental Grand

tks all , we are looking at this resort thru Air transat preference club for 18 0r 19 March 2012 if nothing comes up this weekend.

Shediac, Canada
Level Contributor
738 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Occidental Grand

ummm, did you read my post? That is how we travelled and who we used ...when are you planning on going? If you are travelling between now and the end of March it is much pricier than if you go in April (I see you are travelling during spring break, high season and this is one of the resorts that caters to large groups of high school and college spring breakers...and as far as I know unless you book flight and resort separately Air Transat is the connection out of the maritimes and the preference club is what they call their package ... you can fly Air Canada also I do believe but it is a lot more money and I think theirs is called a Club Package, or you can fly the Air Transat Preference Club and then upgrade to the Royal Club which is another private part of the resort. Even the resorts that cost mega dollars get bad reviews, people go expecting 4 star Canadian/American standards and it is so not even close ... have you ever travelled to the Dominican before? Paradise ....

Edited: 14 January 2012, 04:18
saint john new...
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Occidental Grand

hi hdbjones when is spring break at the occidental we will be there feb11 for 2 weeks