We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rooms at Iberostar Grand

Boston
Level Contributor
891 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Rooms at Iberostar Grand

Will be visiting the IB Grand in mid-May. Wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade to an "Ocean Front Grand Suite". We are couple in our 60's who like a nice room with a king bed (usually on a low floor), close to beach/pool/buffet restaurant, and reasonably quiet in the evenings. When I mention "close" I don't necessarily mean within a few steps, rather within 50 yds. or so. We like to use the gym facilities daily and don't mind the walk from one location to another; just prefer to be centrally located.

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rooms at Iberostar Grand

If you can afford it go for it. All of the rooms are basically central as it is a compact resort. If a good view is important you should book it in advance. We are here now and stuck on the backside looking at the resort next door, this view is probably the worse in the whole resort. I would recommend with the ocean fronts to book a higher level as the lower levels have blocked views.

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rooms at Iberostar Grand

Horseshoe shaped so a great spot for those wanting to walk for miles.

Oceanfront gives you access via a door right by the pool and say 50 yards to beach. Buffets are right opposite you on the other end of the horseshoe.

Lobby bar in the centre and al a carte foodies are on the side by the buffet. Great location and so easy to walk back to your room for those forgotten items.

Like tooteep states get a higher room as ground floor view blocked by a hedge.

Boston
Level Contributor
891 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rooms at Iberostar Grand

Thanx for your responses. We already have reservations made through Jet Blue Getaways, so don't know if we can upgrade them or not without having to pay a fee.

In about 3 1/2 weeks we are going to the Boston Globe Travel Expo. I am hoping to see a rep. from Iberostar properties (as in past years) and will have a talk with them. We have stayed at 4 Iberostar properties in the past 7 or 8 years; so maybe they can upgrade us without our having to pay for it. I don't think the Grand will be at full capacity in mid-May.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Iberostar Bavaro Suites
Iberostar Bavaro Suites
10,306 Reviews
Dominican Republic
United States
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rooms at Iberostar Grand

Like your plan for chatting up the Rep - you should have a good chance for a complimentary upgrade.

Does anyone have an email for this property?

If you get an email address - email your request to the hotel - they usually honor them - based on availability.

You there stuck in the back - ask for an upgrade too unless you like looking at the other hotel *Smiles.

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rooms at Iberostar Grand

We did email ahead as this is our second time at this Grand and we have been to both the other Grands. We have always gotten great views in the past based on being repeat customers. Don't count on an upgrade if it is important to you.

Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rooms at Iberostar Grand

do you like the Iberostar and is worth the $

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Bavaro Suites
Iberostar Bavaro Suites
10,306 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Rooms at Iberostar Grand

do you like the Iberostar and is worth the $

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Bavaro Suites
Iberostar Bavaro Suites
10,306 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rooms at Iberostar Grand

I think is it worth it may be relative to the individuals.

We thought it was but will do a comparison as staying next door tomorrow due to a youngster coming along this year. The Bavaro is nice but I am also wondering was I spoilt at the Grand.

Mentioned in this post
Bavaro
Bavaro
Dominican Republic
North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,658 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rooms at Iberostar Grand

tooteep,

sorry to hear you have that view. We, too, had that view for one evening and then moved. They apologized and said they would move us as soon as possible. I am sure that you will move too if you simply request it. Some people like the solitude of those Bavaro facing rooms...not us.

As far as "free upgrades".... This was our 8th Iberostar stay in 4 years so I don't think you should count on being upgraded because you've been there before LOL! If you want an upgraded room, you must book it!

If you can afford the oceanfront rooms, go for it! There are only 12 and they were sold out when we were there!

tooteep, enjoy the remainder of your stay!

xo

Edited: 19 January 2012, 23:37
Mentioned in this post
Bavaro
Bavaro
Dominican Republic
Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Rooms at Iberostar Grand