We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5.0 earthquake last night

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
5.0 earthquake last night

2';30 am was a earthquake didnt affect hotel area, but locals are telling us storys of what it was like in the village they live,,one local explaind he got scared and ran out of the house naked,,

they are all talking about it down by the huts

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,950 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5.0 earthquake last night

Did you feel it at all?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5.0 earthquake last night

Probably just BobNH down at Hard Rock trying to kick it up a notch from last year! LOL

Ajijic, Mexico
Level Contributor
795 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5.0 earthquake last night

Looks like there were two -

dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2012/1/19/42369/…

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 5.0 earthquake last night

I didn't feel it as usual,

and anyways a 5.0 is a weak one, we have several much stronger ones every month, nothing for a Panic, not even something to Notice

Happy travels

Mike

FARGO, ND
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 5.0 earthquake last night

Thanks Mike--we will be there on Monday--Catalonia Bavaro. I live in an area not usually subject to earthquakes so the info is much appreciated and I will pass onto the people traveling with us! Have agreat weekend!

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5.0 earthquake last night

I understand it was close to La Romana.

Here in Bayahibe didn´t feel anything and haven´t heard any one who did

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5.0 earthquake last night

it was off shore, usually they are around 2 or 3 plus. not seen anything over that on the web site. nothing much to topple over as no high rise office blocks or apartment. would think you'd be safe enough if a bigger one hit.

…usgs.gov/earthquakes/…290_20.php

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 5.0 earthquake last night

Apparently, it woke some folks in Bavaro area:

dr1.com/forums/living/120976-another-earthqu…

9. Re: 5.0 earthquake last night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 January 2012, 12:35
Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5.0 earthquake last night

Felt it around 2am or somewhere there abouts...bit of a rumble and shake then back to normal. It was centered approximately 47 miles south of where I currently sit...south of Saona Island ...an area that often sees shakes, but have to disagree with the other Mike on this one...it is not common for us in the east to encounter quakes much over 4. The average is 3.2 and we get loads of them. It has been a while since a 5 or stronger shook the region. No damages anywhere reported.

Cheers