We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time at a AI resort

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Topic
First time at a AI resort

Hello all,

I will be visiting Iberostar Grand Bavaro in June and I am clueless as to All inclusive hotels.

So I have a few questions, hopefully some of you can help.

Do I need to wear jeans in the restaurants, will jeans suffice?

Do I need to make restaurant reservations a week in advance?

And the big one, I got great advice last year about tipping in the US, is it much of the same in AL places too?

$2-3 for housekeeping per day

1-2$ for drinks every couple rounds ?

also how do you tip the service in the AI restaurants if you can't see the bill to approximate the tip? like a restaurant in new york would be a 20% tip but how do you tip when there is no bill?

thanks in advance

Alberton, Canada
Level Contributor
520 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time at a AI resort

Most a la carte resturants have a dress code, long dress pants, close toed shoes and a buttoned shirt or polo. The buffets are casual with some sort of cover up for women and shirts and shorts for guys. Hope this helps!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time at a AI resort

Long pants is generally the rule, not specificly long "dress" pants.

Jeans qualifies at most AI resort. Not sure if there is a more strict rule for the grand. Their website should note the dress code.

As for tipping, sounds like you have it about right.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,914 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time at a AI resort

thehossdog - Dress codes vary, from resort to resort. For the most part, the resorts request men to wear long pants at the a la carte restaurants (not needed at the buffets). Jeans are fine, but in the tropics, many men find something lighter to be a bit more comfortable - like khakis or linen pants.

Reservations, again... depends on your resort. Some resorts do not require reservations.

Your tipping advice you received seems to be pretty reasonable, but as always, tipping is a personal thing, so do what feels right to you. If your resort offers evening turn-down service in the room, you may want to leave a tip for that person as well. Additionally, many people leave $1-2 for the person that refills the mini bar in your room. As far as the restaurants go, you're right... it's tough when you don't have a $$ amount to go by, to leave a percentage. I think most people leave $3-5 per person at the fancier a la carte restaurants, and maybe a few bucks at the buffet, if there was one person that took special care of you.

Have fun with your first AI experience.

scotland
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time at a AI resort

Thanks to all that have replied so far, looks like I may need to take trousers after all : )

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First time at a AI resort

@thehossdog I think you will love the resort. Not sure what places you have been (to compare it to) but as far as AI are concerned it is one of the best. My wife and I will be returning for our third stay this summer.

As far as tipping.... one of the things I love about AI resorts is the fact I dont have to take card or cash everywhere I go. I dont tip all day long, everything I get. I tip up front a little and the people who take care of me all day and week get a nice tip towards the end. I dispise having to keep up with a wad of cash or card while getting in and out of the pools, and ocean. thats just my way of doing it. usually i find one or two bartenders and one or two wait staff and stick with themm most of the week. They always did a good job wheather I tipped or not but I felt they were supprised when I tipped a good amount at the end.About mid week they probabbly though I was "being cheap" lol. I just hate carrying stuff around all week....... part of my lazy vacation rules.

scotland
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time at a AI resort

@vdub

Thanks for the advice, I agree that carrying money about to tip people could be a hassle I just don't want to upset anyone lol : )

I genuinely have no idea how to act, eating as much as I can, drinking as much as I can, taking it easy etc etc!

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,914 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time at a AI resort

Rather than eating and drinking as much as you can, try eating and drinking as much as you want or wish. It's not a contest to see who can consume the most food and booze on a given day. I find that some days, I drink less than others, some days I eat more than others. Usually, the first few days, I pile it on, at the buffet, because I want to try everything. Then, as the week progresses, I become more selective about my choices. Just relax and enjoy.

scotland
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time at a AI resort

So Given I plan on being an average tipper(I think) what is a decent daily budget to take to the resort, I am in new york the week before and don't wanna land in punta cana short of $ .

Thanks in advance

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,914 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time at a AI resort

I really wish there was a set answer that I, or anyone, can give you. But, there really isn't. Tipping is a personal choice, so do what feels right to you. Perhaps plan to bring a little more than you think you'll need.... no harm in coming home with extra $$. You can put it aside for your next trip.

scotland
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First time at a AI resort

Thanks!

Yeah I am not too big on drinking lots anyway!

but I may need to try everything for a few days just to make sure : )

hmm yeah I suppose there is no hard and fast amount.

$30 per day seems like a decent starting point I think!