We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Time to Punta Cana - Should We Take Malaria Pills?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Topic
1st Time to Punta Cana - Should We Take Malaria Pills?

Visited the Dr last week and was quite surprised that she told us we should take malaria pills before and during our holiday. She prescribed Malarone. Wondering if most people take this? Many side effects? Just kinda worried since we have to start this the day before we leave and don't want to be sick on our holiday. Also we have a 9 year old. I guess if side effects aren't bad it will be better to be safe. Thanks.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Time to Punta Cana - Should We Take Malaria Pills?

Most Dr's recommned it. Ours did, but we didn't take it.

There are some recent threads about this. Do a search for malaria.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,764 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Time to Punta Cana - Should We Take Malaria Pills?

oh.....never mind! LOL

Georgia
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Time to Punta Cana - Should We Take Malaria Pills?

I will be taking Doxycycline. Need to start this prior to leaving. The CDC in U.S. recommends meds for malaria.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
866 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Time to Punta Cana - Should We Take Malaria Pills?

I have visited the DR a few times now and nobody ever recommended taking anything for malaria. I was just there in Dec and cannot say that I even saw a bug. I do take B complex vitamins daily for two weeks prior and during the visit and also use either tea tree oil or lemon oil as an insect repellant. I learned this after I was eaten alive by sand fleas in Florida and have not received a bug bite since I have started this routine.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,672 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Time to Punta Cana - Should We Take Malaria Pills?

As has been said many times before the best advice is to contact a medical professional who is aware of you health record, etc

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Time to Punta Cana - Should We Take Malaria Pills?

We have had 9 trips to various carribbean locations, including the DR. Have never taken Malaria pills, or known anyone to contact Malaria. In fact no one I know has even had a mosquito bite!

To those that take Doxycycline, beware the sun / doxy combination. The only time I had a bad sunburn was through a car window while taking Doxy! It potentiates the sun a lot.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Time to Punta Cana - Should We Take Malaria Pills?

We've been to the DR five times and did take it twice and only out of sheer laziness of having to go back to our doctor did we not take it the other visits. We also never even saw a mosquito when we were there - but it was quite dry when we were there so maybe if there's more rain, then there's more mosquito's. I do think that most resorts spray a lot to kill them (hate to think what kindof pesticides we're exposed to).

That being said, I agree that the best advice should be from your family doctor. By the way, we had no side effects from the medication.

phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/thn-csv/malaria-palu…

Edited: 23 January 2012, 20:30
Toronto
Level Contributor
518 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Time to Punta Cana - Should We Take Malaria Pills?

By coincidence, I've been researching Malaria pills for my daughter who is going to Nicargua in February. After checking the CDC website and seeing DR mentioned, I asked my doctor what he suggests for my upcoming trip. I should point out, my doctor travels extensively for Doctors without Borders and has been to several of the Carribean islands and Central America.

His advise for my trip to DR is it isn't necessary to take any anti-malarial medications as we are traveling to a resort and most resorts spray for mosquitos.

My daughter on the other hand is part of a sweat equity project in a small town in Nicarugua. She will be at risk so the doctor has recommended Malarone. Yes, there can be side effects (as with any prescribed medication) however, in testing, only 15% of the people tested experienced mild side effects. This means 85% experienced no side effects. The only real negative thing I've read about Malarone is that it's expensive. For example: meds for my daughter (19 days total) will cost us $135.00 and no our company drug plan doesn't cover it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st Time to Punta Cana - Should We Take Malaria Pills?

HELL NO!

have you read BobNH post about not being able to be in the sun due to sunstroke while in doxyccline! hehd to leave 3 days early... Ive been All over and have Never taken anti amlaria Meds, can be more dngerous than malaria, I'm no MD, just IMHO...

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st Time to Punta Cana - Should We Take Malaria Pills?

"Yes it's true.....................My wife had been giving me Doxycycline Hyclate to get over a cold. For the last two days my skin felt like it was in a fryalator when I was in the sun. Come to find out this medication is not supposed to be taken while in the sun or it may cause sun posioning!!

Thankfully I have been fine the last two days but we decided to come home Wednesday instead on Saturday.

We were able to change our flight thru Jet Blue for a mere $108.00 including taxes for the both of us.

I happened to be on a free week from Palace Resorts so we ended up paying for 4 nights and got our free week reinstated. Our 14 day stay has now turned into a 12 day stay. The weather has been great and the resort first class and may be back next month if we don't stay in Nuevo."