We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long vacations?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greenville
Level Contributor
42 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Long vacations?

How do all of you get so much time off your work to go for 2 weeks or longer on vacation? I think I'm in the wrong business!

Texas City, Texas
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long vacations?

I am a high school teacher. My daughter and I spent a whole month in PC last summer at a condominium on the beach. It was awesome! My husband is a banker. He makes the money and I take the long vacations!! :)

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,562 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long vacations?

Whenever I am offered a raise I negotiate more time off vs. the money. The company has been very responsive to my request.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long vacations?

Business Owner.................Here at Hard Rock now for two weeks.

Arnprior, Canada
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long vacations?

Hey Bob, there is someone with a post regarding being a Diamond member at the Hard Rock, can you shed any light for him. How are you feeling today? Did you quit your drugs?

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,072 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long vacations?

Hubby is now retired, and I work part time. Initially when we started travelling we went for one week, but after a trip that saw our departure flight delayed 14 hours we quickly decided that we needed 2 weeks.

Maybe things are different in Canada but most career jobs start at 2 week paid vacation time, and progress to three and up after a few years. We also were in careers were we accumulated overtime, and used to "bank' that time to take off as days with pay. The employer preferred that as long as we used the time within the fiscal year. (Police officer and nurse). Both of us were fortunate to have strong contracts.

We have done 3 weeks, but found it just a little too long.

Edited: 24 January 2012, 20:46
N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long vacations?

I am feeling much better and wish we could stay. A Diamond member is someone who has spent more than $100,000 on their membership including upgrades. They get the same "Perks" as I do but have spent more.

murillo
Level Contributor
5,797 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long vacations?

I ride in big red trucks and work 4 on and 4 off... and get 12 weeks holidays ... and retire in 3 years.e habla espanole mejor mi esposa

London, Canada
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long vacations?

5 weeks paid vacation here and it still isn't enough!

Hamilton
Level Contributor
369 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long vacations?

bomberro....12 weeks? Nice! I get 6 but it took 35 long years to get there. I like to take 2 weeks when I go to PC, one just isnt enough to unwind. Of course facing the pile of crap on my desk when I come back is a whole other story!

Anna

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long vacations?

Hi,

In the Netherlands the minimum amount of free days a year for someone who works full time (40hrs a week) is 21 days per year.

I work 36 hours a week and get 24 vacation days a year, this is very average for this country and does not really depends on what kind of work you do.

So a few holidays per year for at least a week at the time is very normal here.

Amy