We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help...Newbie

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canton, MI
Level Contributor
54 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Help...Newbie

I think I have read every single post here and I'm more confused than I was before. This is my first time to PC and I need help with picking a resort and I am so overwhelmed. I am relying on everyone experience and expertise here and I thank you so much. We are looking for a nice resort with a nice sandy beach, nice rooms with an ocean-view option. I'd like it adult's only, but kids are fine as long as it's not geared towards families (we are trying to get away from our own kids!). Food should be good, but we are by no means foodies. Just good food and lots of options. Activities are a plus with bars and clubs. I don't mind some of the larger resorts, but I just don't want one that is so loud with a ton of people and feel like I'm always at a party. On the other hand, I don't want a resort with a bunch of fuddie duddies either and it's so quiet and boring.

I understand that you "get what you pay for", but our budget is $3000-$3500, which seems to be the moderate to higher end. I would love to go to the Iber Grand, but it's out of our price range. I'd like something just below that. Any suggestions? I was leaning towards Majestic Elegance or Dream Palm Beach, but again, I really need guidance. I do not want to stay in the Excellence because of the rough beach I've been reading.

Thanks so much for your time and info. :)

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help...Newbie

Jen we stayed at the Grand last year and just came home from 10 days at the Iberostar Bavaro which is right next door. This may be an option for you. Yes there are kids but also just couples. yes bar in lobby is quite active and you also have the option of visiting the other 2 Iberostars next door. Not the Grand though. Tour of Grand are available and are an option for future travels. Beach is great and nice bar at the beach for cold drinks and those munchies you can't be bothered getting up for.

john

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,509 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help...Newbie

Have you looked at the Palladium complex? It's Royal Suites Turquesa is adults only, but you have use of all the other sections if it gets a little quiet. It's further south than the Iberostar complex so the beach is wide and the water is a bit calmer. You also get unlimited a la cartes at the Palladium.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help...Newbie

both mentioned Hotels/Properties would be a good fit, the Iberostar Bavaro and the Palaldium Resort, they provide a good number of Restaurants/Variety, both offer more Lifely and more relxed quiet spots, so You can change according to the own Mood for Party or relaxation.

I disagree on the Beach description, the Beach in El Cortecito/Palladium Resort shows quiet some very rough Days during Tidal Changes, and it is mostly rough during the Winter Timeperiod mid November-mid/end february.

Mike

Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help...Newbie

We stayed at the Majestic Elegance this past April and we are booked again for this upcoming April.

This will be our 6th trip to PC and we just loved ME.

Food was better than the Bahia and Dreams...(my opinion)

You also have the option of booking club section which is adults only within the resort. Kid free pools, seperate bars and a seperate section on the beach.

The lobby bar in the evening is the "hub" for all the activities and they do have some pretty good shows like the Michael Jackson show.

That was fantastic.

The club members also had a beachside martini party on Friday night which was alot of fun. Chocolate martinis...mmmmmmmm

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help...Newbie

I'd recommend you look at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro or Gran Bahia Ambar - been to both and loved both. IGB definitely more luxurious - but also more expensive and not sure if it's within your budget. We've also been to the Dreams Palm Beach and my only comment is that it's definitely geared to families so you might want to take that in mind and also, we were in preferred club and it wasn't a great view and we found the room small - especially the bathroom and did not like its open concept. I have heard great things about Majestic Elegance.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,604 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help...Newbie

Jennifer, welcome to the forums!

You don't say what time of year you are looking to go, but if it is during non-peak times, your budget should get you into a standard room at the upscale, adult-only, Royal Service section of the Paradisus Punta Cana, which has a fabulous beachfront location and above-average food & beverage quality & variety!

The Grand Palladium Royal Suites and the Catalonia Royal are two other very good, adult-only options at alittle less cost.

Happy Travels whichever you choose!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,888 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help...Newbie

The beach at EPC is not rough at all

The ocean can be choppy and is normally red flagged but the beach is great

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help...Newbie

Flip,

with "Rough Beach" I would guess she meant "rough Waters at the Excellence Beach",

and that is what is present there very often.

a beach itself without the water is just a Calm Sandy Area with some Coconut Trees, he he

cheers

Mike

Canton, MI
Level Contributor
54 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help...Newbie

Thank you to everyone who took the time to give me their opinion. Every single post has great info. I am looking into all the resorts you mentioned. They all seem to have something great about them and that's why it's so hard to decide. I am leaning towards Majestic Elegance. At first we weren't even sure if we were going to PC or RivMaya and I don't think we've even totally decided. I need to pick a place and both and go from there. I beleive we will be going to PC though. Can you tell I'm new at this?? Hopefully I'll be able to say we are "well-travelled" and I'll be able to give some great advice to a newbie like me. Again, thanks everyone for your time and I'll update when I decide. :) Jen

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help...Newbie

Good luck Jen! You'll certainly receive lots of great advice, and experienced suggestions here on TA. I've had a lot of fun, and learned more than I could have possibly imagined on here for our upcoming trip this summer...

Have fun choosing ( it CAN be overwhelming) and yes, keep us posted :)