We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best vacation spot?

Eufaula, Alabama
8 posts
Save Topic
Best vacation spot?

I'm hoping everyone has alot of help with any vacation ideas! My husband & I are coming up on our 5 year anniversary and are looking for an amazing vacation. Our honeymoon was to Maui, HI. We have also went to Montego Bay, Jamaica; Belize, Cozumel. What is your recommendation for a perfect carribean/island/beach vacation? We are in upper 20's so we want a REALLY good nightlife, all inclusive if possible, great beach, great food. Those are my probably 3 requriedments, good - nightlife, beach, and food. It doesn't have to be Antigua. I was just looking at the moment at Antigua, Thailand, Domincan Republic, St Lucia, but DEFINITLY not limited to those!

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
319 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best vacation spot?

Are you the type that stays in the resort or you like to venture out?

Eufaula, Alabama
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best vacation spot?

In Maui we were on our own, so every day we ventured around the island. In Jamaica we stayed at the resort, but then again the area around Montego Bay was NOT MY FAVORITE!!! So I was glad to stay confined. We would like to be able to venture out for an excursion, but would like to have a place we were happy at if needed.

Eufaula, Alabama
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best vacation spot?

And we would definitly like to be able to scuba dive again!

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
319 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best vacation spot?

I haven't been to Punta Cana (going this summer) But I lived in the north of the Dominican Republic. DR offers a lot of culture and activities outside the resorts, much more than Antigua where most people I talked to just go to lay out in the beach. From I read Punta Cana gives you a pretty good balance between lots of Excursions near and far and big beautiful resorts where you can chill out.

For the adventurous, nothing beats Thailand. I been to several places in Thailand and they are not big on All Inclusives but the combination of beautiful beaches, modern cities like Bangkok, old Buddhist temples, remote hideouts, near deserted islands, Elephants and crocs, is just out of this world!

Look into Thailand for an exciting, exotic trip. Look into the Dominican Republic for a close relaxing trip that can turn into an action packed trip if you let it be.

Don't forget about the distance too. You can leave the states in the morning and be in DR with a drink in your hand in the afternoon. You leave today for Thailand and get there two days later....but totally worth it. The more I think about it, its not even fair to compare both locations. Its just two very different types of trips!

Eufaula, Alabama
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best vacation spot?

Yes the flight will be much greater. LOLOn my husband's first airplane ride, I stuck him on a 10 hour flight to Maui. We are looking for a breath taking spot this year. Maui was as was Niagra Falls. So we are wanting somewhere big. Besides those places are there any others you have visited that you highly recommend?

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best vacation spot?

Bonaire and Curacao for those under water vacations and the later has night life. St Lucia is very very nice.

We have been to most and now DR lovers based on the people. Love planting my a$$ and relaxing at an AI.

Barbados is nice and boatyard is a must visit for those party moments :) :)

Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best vacation spot?

St. Lucia is beautiful and not horrible as far as the travel.

The people and the towns make it a "worth it" trip. Absolutly beautiful island! We stayed at the Sandals Grande and enjoyed the accomadations as well as the local flavor. We did get a chance to venture out for a full day tour with a guy named Peter to see all the attractions and some of the "off the beaten path" places.

It wasn't our favorite for travel reasons. Connecting flights with 2-3 hour layovers. We prefer direct/non-stop.Nobody wants stress going into a vacation so Punta Cana/ Mexico/Jamaica are easy for us.

Out of 11 trips to various locations...the Dominican Republic is our favorite based on the people. Hands down...no "bs"..... the people of the DR are the best people we have met and it keeps us coming back.

6th trip this April!!

Can't wait!!!

8. Re: Best vacation spot?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2013, 10:31