We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Reserve at Paradisus or Melia Caribe with a 2 y.o.?

Cary, North Carolina
7 posts
Save Topic
The Reserve at Paradisus or Melia Caribe with a 2 y.o.?

Hello Punta Cana experts,

Please - I need your help! My husband and I are not all inclusive travelers (prefer adventure travel) however, since we now have a little one and really need a vacation have decided to take an all inclusive resort trip. I am torn between The Reserve at Paradisus or Melia Caribe. Price is not a concern for either of them and we would stay in a one bedroom master suite (upgrade to Royal Service at Melia).

I want to make sure we are choosing the best resort for our family and our Toddler has a great time as well. I have read many mixed reviews on Trip Advisor about the Paradisus and am concerned about room cleanliness and quality of the food. Sounds like the people who work in the kids club don't really engage the children (we are not planning on using the kids club a lot but are thinking on occasional mornings so we could go snorkling).

We would definitely want a babysitter every night so we can go out to dinner (our little one is in bed by 7 pm).

I spoke to the Melia reservation line and they even said the Reserve at Paradisus is a nicer resort then the Melia which is why I'm concerned b/c the reviews on here are so mixed.

Does anyone have any experience traveling to either of these resorts recently with an under 3 toddler? Please - any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Reserve at Paradisus or Melia Caribe with a 2 y.o.?

Been to Paradisus Palma Real (regular section), melia caribe (royal service) and paradisus punta cana (reserve section)... each trip with our kids ages from 9 months to 5yrs old (3 kids).

Loved all 3 resorts would not hesitate to go back to any one... If you want newer more luxury go with reserve

We went to esmeralda last year and would not return...

Cary, North Carolina
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Reserve at Paradisus or Melia Caribe with a 2 y.o.?

Thank you! I would like more luxury (for Mommy and Daddy!) however, want to be sure the little one is having a blast too (hence my hesitation - wasn't sure if I should go to Caribe b/c of the Flinstone theme). However, he's never watched TV so doesn't even know who the Flinstones are and wouldn't know what he's missing anyway...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Reserve at Paradisus or Melia Caribe with a 2 y.o.?

Paradisus Palma real reserve section is the best out of all... Don't worry about the flinstone thing. The beach and pool will provide plenty of entertainment...

Long Island
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Reserve at Paradisus or Melia Caribe with a 2 y.o.?

Hi, there are two Paradisus resorts in Punta Cana and I have been to both. If money is not an option then stay at the Palma Real location in the family concierge room. The reserve is for adults only, and while it is on the property, it is a separate section not for kids. Family Concierge is for families only and with very high end attention to details, including your own concierge. You also get a walkie talkie to be in contact with concierge should you want for anything which may come in handy rather than drag child from pool or beach for inquiries to get something done. There is also a very state of art (it was when I was there about three - four years ago) kids club. They have arts/crafts.clubhouse and lots of indoor/outdoor activities for little ones when sun is just too much. It is also right next to a pool so if you feel comfortable having your child stay you are right there. The family concierge area is not on the beach but they provide golf cart rides to and from and it is quite easy. This is the best of the two paradises resorts. Food is very, very good here while mediocre at best at the other resort. This concierge person will also make all of your resort reservations. accommodations. appts that you may want. The other resort does not have reservations and come dinner time it was mobbed and we had some very hungry crank kids! I travel to all inclusives about three times a year and can tell you from various resort experiences that you will not be disappointed at this location.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Reserve at Paradisus or Melia Caribe with a 2 y.o.?

reserve is not adults only.... Royal Service at the Palma Real is adults only. Unless things have changed in the past few years..

Edited: 10 February 2012, 21:02
Jacksonville
Level Contributor
362 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Reserve at Paradisus or Melia Caribe with a 2 y.o.?

Reserve at Paradisus Real 1000%. Don't even think twice about it. We got back and it was great Room was perfect and VERY Clean. Inroom baby sitting was great. We put our little one down for his nap in their nap room and slept for a few hours every after noon and they phoned us when he woke up. They have video monitors etc.

Cary, North Carolina
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Reserve at Paradisus or Melia Caribe with a 2 y.o.?

Thank you everyone for your input!!!! Since I am reading such terrible reviews about the food (both here on trip advisor as well as on Expedia) at Paradisus Punta Cana I am interested that the Calabria-Family posted that the food was Excellent at Paradisus Palma Real. Honestly, we aren't planning on leaving the resort, we don't care if it's a 15 minute walk to the beach so whether we are at Punta Cana or Palma Real it doesn't really matter and any cost differential won't matter either. We would 100% stay in a "concierge" room (master suite) so we have an actual bedroom that we can put the crib - this way the little one can nap and we still have an area to be in as well as the in room babysitter can have the living area to hang out in at night while he sleeps.

So would Palma Real be the better choice over Punta Cana? Are the rooms at Palma Real as nice as the reserve area in Punta Cana? My main criteria is very nice, clean rooms (suite), decent food (I don't expect gourmet - I know it's all inclusive) and excellent evening babysitting and occasional kids club care...

Cary, North Carolina
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The Reserve at Paradisus or Melia Caribe with a 2 y.o.?

jresn02,

How old is your little one? I don't think mine would nap in a communal environment. He is very "set" on his naptime routine so I think naps would have to be in our room. Did you have in room babysitting every night? Were the babysitters employees of the resort?

Cary, North Carolina
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The Reserve at Paradisus or Melia Caribe with a 2 y.o.?

Calabria-Family,

I just checked the palma real website and it appears that the kidzone is only available to kids 5 and older. Did you have a young toddler with you when you were there? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
362 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Reserve at Paradisus or Melia Caribe with a 2 y.o.?

If you stay at the reserve they take kids down to 1. They have a special nap room that is VERY dark (and when we went out of 5 days only once was another child using it). They have video monitors on your child so when they wake up they are right there to pick them up and call you. My Son turns 2 in March and we were there over the Winter Holidays. They are VERY good playing with the young ones. We have a 5 year old as well. Read all the positive reviews. I did extensive research on this same subject and hands down pick the Palma Real.