We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage locks

Alberton, Canada
Level Contributor
520 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage locks

Should one put TSA luggage locks on their checked luggage? Which is better, the strap type that goes around or the locks that connect the zippers. I have heard stories that with the zipper type they can open your case with a pen. advice please!!

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
15,041 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage locks

TSA locks work for me,

the zipper trick with a pen can happen locks will not prevent this.

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage locks

one time when we went down we had our locks cut off our bags. when we arrived at the resort I found that the lock had been cut....our customs or theirs not really sure??

Alberton, Canada
Level Contributor
520 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage locks

Are not the security agents supposed to have a master key to open the TSA locks?

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage locks

use small colorful zip ties. If cut easy to see and also keep extras in zipper pouch on luggage with clippers...

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage locks

I seriously don't know, so I'm asking, is there really that great of an issue with people's checked luggage being broken into??

After reading about the "pen trick" on zippers, we just decided not to bother with locks - no point.

Now, maybe I'm looking at this from a different perspective, so to play devil's advocate, doesn't locked up luggage (zip ties, or the strap around) give the appearance there is something of value in the suitcase? Not that we all don't value what's in our suitcases, that's not what I mean. But is it more of "Hmmmm, wonder what's in there that they felt they should lock it up like that? Think I'll check it out..."

Almost like protecting luggage with obvious straps/locks/zip ties makes it stand out, and thus may have a greater chance of being rifled through...?

And if you get your luggage off the carousel, and the zip ties/strap/lock has been cut or tampered with, what is the recourse? Was it at departure or arrival, and what exactly can be done if something is missing? Insurance, I guess, but we're still without our stolen items and no substantial blame or charges can be laid, can they?

Not meaning to offend anyone - just genuinely and honestly curious.... :)

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage locks

We have never locked luggage. Agree with you laceyblue...anyone can break into luggage-a lock is only worth it for the honest people. I also have been fortunate enough to have not had anything come up missing-but also don't travel with anything of value out of my possession. In our hotel we try to put anything of value in our safe. (Which of course may not actually be "safe"...but that is another story!!)

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage locks

I liked the shrink wrapper that was at the resort. That way after you checked out you didnt have to worry about anybody getting into your bags while waiting to leave the resort.

Port-au-Prince...
Level Contributor
84 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage locks

The benefit of having the TSA approved locks is to prevent casual pilfering.Supposedly only the official customs officers have the masters to the approved luggage locks.

Baggage handlers, flight crew, drivers and airport employees would have to make a special effort to open your baggage so they are more likely to move on to someone else.

Most, but not all, countries in the Caribbean have adopted the TSA standards, but you'll need to check before you go.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage locks

Thx! We're not going to bother with the locks, or anti-tampering of any kind - why bother, really :) What goes on after the luggage is checked, is out of my hands anyway - recourse, or otherwise.

Happy Hockey Day in Canada everyone!!!

10. Re: Luggage locks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2013, 10:36