We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

acts of kindness

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
acts of kindness

If I wanted to bring treats or things to give to the staff from the USA , what would you suggest?

Ontario
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: acts of kindness

The men like ball caps and the women enjoy makeup but most of all they appreciate cash.

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: acts of kindness

handshakes, hugs and cash!

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: acts of kindness

Smiles, manners and cash!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: acts of kindness

cash and hugs and handshakes appreciated in that order,

but the most important thingy as mentioned by Lacey are Manners, means treat people as peole, smile, and you will be smiled upon all Vacation long.

Men love Ballcaps from all around, the DR is def Baseball Country, they know all Your Homeclubs and Men in the DR love to wear Caps everywhere.

of course women like Makeup/lipsticks etc etc as everywhere, but You can't use just so much of everything, so if for example a Roommaid would receive just for 3 consecutive days on Duty on every 5th Room she cleans a set of lipsticks as a Gift she would be in the Need to find a Shop to rent where she can open a Lipstick Store to sell 'em all.

as for Tips/appreciation as everywhere on the World Cash is clearly King, as with the Bucks People can by what they actually really need at home, may that be a new Lipstick for Mom or a Baseballglove for their Son or a pack of Pampers for their Babygirl.

Happy Travels

Mike

USA
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: acts of kindness

Thanks Mike - We always tip generously but I thought if we could bring something from the states they might like we would do that. I'll definately buy a bunch of baseball caps for the men but I needed something for the women. I agree about the lipstick with you, they could open a store and sell them back to us!!!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: acts of kindness

As you don't know any of the people you intend to give gifts to how can you know that a baseball cap is appropriate. These people are individuals with individual tastes jsut like Americans. Best IMO to give tips at least that way they can spend the money on items they need/want. You could also demand that the hotel pay decent wages to their staff.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
563 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: acts of kindness

always leave tips for the maids and leave gifts, often times for their kids instead of the usual makeup etc. and tips and hats for the barstaff and groundskeepers.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: acts of kindness

Give tips - the parents know best what their children need.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: acts of kindness

Baseball hats are fun, but they don't put food on the table or pay the electric bill. I always think about how we would react, if we were waiting tables at home, and restaurant patrons left us lipsticks for tips rather than cash.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: acts of kindness

...exactly.