We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The language!

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Topic
The language!

I have read these forums for a good while now and I have yet to see a forum topic about this.

seeing as I am visiting PC in a few months time I thought it best that I learn a bit of the native language, enough to get by maybe, or at least to show I tried to learn it : )

So my questions is this, what sayings or phrases did you find helped you out best while you were on holiday?

it can be anything from si, por favor to dos cervezas por favor!

I look forward to seeing the responses.

embrace the day people.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The language!

You're like us hoss, and wanted to at least make the effort :)

In preparation for our trip this summer, I've been using Google Translator with sound to jot down a few things - ok, pages of things :D

I'm actually taking a list of phrases in Spanish to use in writing for the housekeeper/fridge restocker, eg: " thank you for preparing our room, could we have more water/beer please, another pillow please" and things like that.

We also have a list of Spanish words and phrases we thought would be useful, like: "good morning/evening, how are you today, thank you very much, room service, towels, breakfast, dinner, coffee with cream and sugar, may I please have"...the list goes on :)

It's been fun learning and practicing - can't wait to try it out :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The language!

We always say hello/good-bye/please/thank you etc in Spanish, and try to order food and drinks in Spanish too.

I'm planning on doing an evening course in Spanish at some point; I'm starting a PhD in the next year or so, and would like to study Latin American literature, but ideally need to be able to read the material in its original Spanish. That and I've been to Spanish-speaking countries 8 times in the last 4 years, and would love to be able to communicate better.

I find though that even just using the odd bit here and there is often appreciated; it's surprising how many people make no effort at all..

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The language!

london, that sounds wonderful!! I love learning about languages and enjoy sharing with my students, the origin of words we use in the English language...

You're making me think about going back to school now :)

And I agree - with the complaints we read about language barriers when travelling to the DR, it makes me wonder what these people were thinking and why they at least, did not make SOME effort...for us, it's made our preparations even more fun, as we hope we can immerse ourselves a little more into the culture :)

Brantford, Canada
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The language!

Before we went, I studied the below link for a couple months. I actually printed it out and took it with me but didn't need to refer to it. I read many reviews about the language barrier so I wanted to be prepared since we were entering their country and shouldn't expect them to speak English. What I found was: everyone I interacted with and tried to speak my best broken Spanish to responded to me in English. So I really don't see what people were complaining about!! Here is the link.

www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/spanish.html

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The language!

Ver que esto es sólo un rumor sobre nosotros escoceses no tipping

may come in handy hoss :)

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The language!

We vacation in P.C. often and try to learn at least two phrases each vacation.

scotland
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The language!

lmao, maybe that should be how I tip when I get there, hand over the tip and say 'recuerda que soy escocés'.

and then say your line : )

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The language!

gsdsky and thehossdog,

You Sctts are lucky,

the so well known phrase about the Scotts and Tipping is not known in the Spanish language, at least Not about Scottish People, ha ha.

the most important thingy about a new language is to dare to speak, doesn't matter how awful it may sound on the first attempts, it only get's better by Practice, dare to speak your phrases and where you do not know the full sentence in spanish you can mix it with the spanish you already know and fill in the rest with english, you will be understood and sure Nobody Dominican would ever laugh about that, the opposite, the People on the Island/at the Resorts really appreciate a Visitor trying to speak their Native Language/Spanish, it usually makes for some good Laughs for both and starts interaction with Staff You otherwise would not have had.

Happy Valentines

Mike

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,799 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The language!

There's actually quite a few threads regarding the language etc. here. Also, most resorts if you check their activity sheet have daily spanish lessons.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,799 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The language!

This is a list I've compiled and tried at one time or another:

Common phrases with the prononciation (Visual)

www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/spanish.html

Common phrases (Audio)

hispaniola.com/dominican_republic/special/ta…

Talking Spanish Phrase book (Audio)

spanicity.com/Phrases/Greetings/Greetings.htm

Common phrases (Audio)

http://www.livemocha.com/

Common phrases (Audio)

http://www.spanicity.com/

Common phrases (Audio)

http://www.iloveplaya.com/spanish-guide.php/

Translation (Visual)

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

Coffee Break Spanish, you can download or listen on the computer (Mainland Spanish)

www.radiolinguamedia.com/cbs/www/index.html

Prior TA topic on Spanish

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k21655…

If you have a Nintendo DS they have a great Spanish learning 'game'

There's a CD out there that is one of the easiest to learn from called "The Spanish Traveller"

I found Rosetta Stone the worst, sorry, just didn't care for it or the process.

There are also some eBooks online and for $1 they are great, you download, print and learn at your own pace.

Cheers,

Debbie.

bbc.co.uk/languages/…phrases.shtml

Edited: 14 February 2012, 13:53