We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you know if its genuine?

England
Level Contributor
222 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
How do you know if its genuine?

Trip Advisor is in the press a lot lately about fake reviews and even management "paying" guests to write god reviews of their hotels etc...

How can you tell if a review is genuine or not? Anyone know of any tell tell signs?

We have just booked our next holiday to Dreams Palm Beach and there are a load of 5* reviews from seemingly genuine members that only have 1 review, no other contributions and that have only just joined TA.... suspicious or not?

I tend to read the reviews and just pick out the bits that are important to us.. but it's getting harder and harder to tell if a review is genuine or not!

Based on the fact this hotel is ranked 12 of 96 one would think this is a safe bet... but I am now having doubts!

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,102 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do you know if its genuine?

I look for fair and balanced... reviewers that, although they may have found fault with a resort, they were also able to find something good. I believe my first review was as credible as my last, so I don't buy into that whole "discount someone's first or only review as being untrue" philosophy that many do, here. If you want more input on something you've read in a review, PM the reviewer and ask for clarification... if they're legit, they'll likely respond. Or, pose a question to the forum, and ask for some first-hand input from someone in the forum community.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do you know if its genuine?

harmon - I usually find the trend is your friend.

I try to ignore the ones that rant OTT good or bad, especially if they name individuals constantly - who remembers everyone's name on holiday??

I'm sure some Hotels put Staff up to write reviews and other Hotels may put people up to write bad reviews. You can never be 100%.

Fortunately there are a lot of reviews for all the Hotels in PC so if you take out the OTT ones you should be OK.

I have been to Dreams Palm Beach btw and I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Also worth Debbies Dominican for alternative reviews.

snooks

Edited: 24 February 2012, 14:58
New York
Level Contributor
525 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How do you know if its genuine?

I agree with both poozieny & Snooky above. If I read a review where the writer goes "The beach was dirty, the pool was dirty, the rooms were disgusting, the food was awful, there were bugs everywhere, the staff were rude, etc....", than I know that more often than not, this was written by some miserable person who has more issues than just being unhappy with their vacation. I won't pay much attention to those reviews.

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do you know if its genuine?

Here is what I do when I read reviews, especially from someone that have nothing in their profiles.

You have to understand that we do not all have the same taste. But let me tell you something. For example, look at the Majestic Elegance. It's ranked #3 out of 98 resorts in Punta Cana... Then out of the blue, someone rates it 1 or 2 star. Seriously, 1* for one of the best rated resorts in PC? Come on...

If people have had bad things and rate it reasonably, then these I take more serious. Other than that, I skip over them and move on.

I have never been disapointed yet in PC and I have stayed in 3.5* to 5* resorts. All great! Go with a good attitude, don't go with a North American expectation (expecting it to be the same as a 5* resort in N-A) and you'll be fine!

Edited: 24 February 2012, 17:58
Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
3,072 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do you know if its genuine?

Recently read a review on the resort we are going to, she said she usually stayed at a Rui and compared this resort as much poorer only gave it a 1*. I checked out her past activity .... she had reviewed only one other resort, a Rui, but only gave it a 2*.

I thew out this review, as she is obviously very difficult to please.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do you know if its genuine?

I agree with all of the posters. I tend to disregard the reviews that seem completely perfect and "glossy" (although they gain credibility with currents of agreeing reviewers).

I also disregard the reviewers that complain about everything from the hotel, to the excursions, to the taxi ride to the fellow guests. Obviously, such sourpuss' can't be pleased.... sad when vacations are supposed to be the highlight to mundane, everyday stressful life.

Stoney Creek Ontario
Level Contributor
649 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do you know if its genuine?

The first reviews I read are the ones which have photos attached. I figure if they've taken time to post photos with the reviews there's more of a chance they are legitmate. It might ignore a lot of honest reviews but that's my starting point. Then I work back from there.

8. Re: How do you know if its genuine?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 23:15