We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana Princess, Catalonia Royal or Ambar

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Topic
Punta Cana Princess, Catalonia Royal or Ambar

These adult only are in our price range, would like some opinions, input or advice please! Good or Bad or Awful ??? We have been to the DR before, but not adult only, we prefer a no reservation restaurants if possible and a nicer room ( more than " we only use the room to sleep" excuse ) just want a comforable R&R vacation ! Thanks !

Newfoundland
Level Contributor
481 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana Princess, Catalonia Royal or Ambar

PCP twice, is an awesome resort/beach, no reservations, good drinks/food & best staff of anywhere !! Rooms "only to sleep in" some describe as "tired" but very very clean. Will definately return here. Stayed at GBP but not in Amber section, rooms really nice, staff & food not so much. Haven't tired Catalonia Royal yet......

Regina, SK
Level Contributor
121 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Cana Princess, Catalonia Royal or Ambar

We just returned from PC last month. Did a week at the Ambar and a week at the Catalonia Royal. I would choose Ambar over CRB absolutely for better rooms, better food and better service. You do have to make reservations for the a la cartes, however, as a group of 8 we were able to get into all of the ones we wanted during our week there.

new hampshire
Level Contributor
414 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Cana Princess, Catalonia Royal or Ambar

Have been to all the resorts also Excellence PC , you need to ask yourself what are you looking for? All the above resorts are lovely, take time to read the reviews and look at the guests pictures, all very informative, we just returned from the Amber in February, and you most certainly need to make reservations in advance(before you leave) , Having been to PC 6 times and many resorts, we like adults only, beautiful beach, good food , nice & clean room, small, intimate resort with a tropical vibe. so next vacation we will return to PC Princess, it offers everything that we want. Good Luck & Enjoy your vacation!

nova scotia
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Cana Princess, Catalonia Royal or Ambar

been to all three

actually been to dominican 9 times

ambar.....best food.......but you need to reserve certain restraunts, which can be a pain, but well worth it.....rooms are the best of the three resorts you have mentioned........beautiful all adult resort...but not enough shade at the pool if that is an issue fo you.

Punta Cana Princess...nice resort...but in a diferent way.........nothing that would be considered luxury...BUT.....very nice smaller adult resort that we intend to definatly re-visit.........gives a very carrbean feel to it........quiet at night

Royal catalinia..........i dont want to bash the resort.but for us .we were very dissapointed

south of england
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Cana Princess, Catalonia Royal or Ambar

Hi

Havent been to the Amber or PCC but was at the Cat Royal last June and we are going back in under 7 weeks time .Its a very small resorts , very peacefull , two pools , one with a nice swim up bar . Great private beach that never gets crowded and getting a lounger is always easy , we loved the food at all 6 restaurants , didnt like the buffet but thats just our choice , all in all we would recomend this hotel if you want a nice peacefull time relaxing and chilling out eating good food and being served by friendly staff . Just our opinion .......:)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
790 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Cana Princess, Catalonia Royal or Ambar

When we were pricing out Punta Cana for our first trip in May, the Ambar was quite a bit more money. PCP was a bit more too. We have not yet been, but wanted something a bit smaller (did not want to feel like I'm in Vegas in a Caribbean destination). We chose the Royal based on the difference in price.

I just don't think the Ambar is in the same price range.

Cumming, Georgia
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Cana Princess, Catalonia Royal or Ambar

Love the Ambar. We have just booked our third trip for the end of May 2012.

You will be please if you chose the Ambar.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
299 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Cana Princess, Catalonia Royal or Ambar

I also have been to Ambar and Cat royal, I would go to both again. Catalonia is a great resort to relax and the food is good,

Amber is a much more upscale resort,

having been to both sides of the bahia resort it is growing wild and getting to big for me

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,553 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta Cana Princess, Catalonia Royal or Ambar

I have been to the Punta Cana Princess, the Ambar and the regular side of the Catalonia. You indicated that the room is important to you so the PCP might not suit your needs as the rooms are dated but are very clean and spacious. The Ambar rooms are nice but nothing special. The best food out of the three in my opinion was at the Catalonia with the Ambar second and the PCP third. We liked the PCP because we didn't need to make reservations so we could just eat where we wanted depending on what we felt like that day. The PCP also had the best service hands down out of all the resorts we have been to. It also has the nicest beach in my opinion. Out of the three, I would return to the PCP because of the service, the beach and the overall tropical and relaxed vibe that this resort has. Perfect for some R&R. We also liked that it was very compact and you could walk anywhere in 5 mins or less.........

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Punta Cana Princess, Catalonia Royal or Ambar

been to ambar and pcc. both nice but dfferent

ambar-more upscale, better food, access to all the other bahia restaurants but they cant come to ambar.pool smaller and sometimes hard to get chairs.

pcc-smaller, very clean and quiet. no restaurant reservations needed.. access to other princess restaurants but they cant come to pcc. not as upscale. very friendly staff.

another great adults only was majestic elegance-elegance club section. newer resort, upscale good food. would go back to any of these.

goodluck!