We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling home to Nova Scotia

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Topic
Calling home to Nova Scotia

A few years ago we went to Punta Cana and before I left home I bought and calling card which I thought would work in the DR but it wouldn't. Wanting to call my daughter at home I made three collect calls which cost me $40 each for 5 mins. I don't want to do this again but would like to call a couple of times. Any suggestions would be great.

Shediac, Canada
Level Contributor
736 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling home to Nova Scotia

You can buy calling cards from your rep at the resort. Some resorts have phone areas that run a clock and charge you by the minute.

Summerside
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling home to Nova Scotia

Two years ago, I bought an International calling card at the little store of the resort and it was 10 US dollars. This gave me 30 minutes of phone time.

Sydney, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
293 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling home to Nova Scotia

what resort are you going to?

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling home to Nova Scotia

I have International calling with Verizon.

.05 to receive a text. .50 to send a text. $1.29 a minute for phone call.

We are at the Hard Rock March 18th - 28th. They have free wifi throughout the resort plus you can call home or other people from your room at no charge.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling home to Nova Scotia

Spudislander did you still have charges on your phone bill when you got home?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling home to Nova Scotia

BobNH you better read a review from the Hard Rock! The other night I read a review that said the people thought it was free to but still got charged.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calling home to Nova Scotia

I have been to the Hard Rock numerous times, the last being 5 weeks ago in January. Phone calls home or to friends or to my business numerous times a day have NEVER been charged. They talk about the free wifi and calls home on their website.

Toronto
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Calling home to Nova Scotia

I thought I read that calls from the Hard Rock are not free to cell numbers - land lines only. Maybe this is where the misunderstanding could be.

I like the idea of buying a calling card from the resort - thanks for the suggestion Spud.

Toronto
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Calling home to Nova Scotia

con't ......and hdbjones!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
190 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Calling home to Nova Scotia

Bobnh is right calls from the Hard Rock to landlines in the US and Canada are free. It states it in the Hard Rock rep post here on the PC forum.