We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slips and Trips at the Grand Bahia Principe Ambar

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Slips and Trips at the Grand Bahia Principe Ambar

Hello fellow travellers,

I have been reading loads of posts regarding the GBP Ambar as I am booked to go there with my husband later this year.

I have noticed that there seem to be quite a few references to guests falling/ tripping over in the hotel grounds. This is concerning me because just after I made the booking, I slipped over and badly broke my ankle (four fractures). I really don't want to repeat the experience.

Can anyone advise me as to whether there are any particular areas that I should be more careful of (other than the pool area of course)!

Many Thanks in advance.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slips and Trips at the Grand Bahia Principe Ambar

I didn't have a fall while there (and I jogged most of the pathways in the morning), but I do recall after a big heavy rainfall that the entrance to the lobby bar was quite slippery (to the resort's credit though, they were there frantically working on mopping it up). Just be sure to wear sandals/shoes with a good non-slip tread.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,426 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slips and Trips at the Grand Bahia Principe Ambar

The "zero entry" area on the right side of the pool is always very slippery due to the accumulation of sun tan oils & lotions, and also the tile floors in the public areas and on the walkways can be very slippery when wet.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slips and Trips at the Grand Bahia Principe Ambar

We didn't find that there were any issues for us with this - the only thing is as already mentioned the pool area and lobby area when it is wet. Also, be careful when getting out of the tub or shower in the room as the floors are quite slippery if your feet are wet.............

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Slips and Trips at the Grand Bahia Principe Ambar

Thank you all for your comments, they are all very much appreciated. I will write them all down so as not to forget.

It is very nice of you to take the time to reply. I have read so much good stuff about the Ambar and am trying to focus on that rather than the possibility of falling over, but a bit of forward planning can't hurt!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Slips and Trips at the Grand Bahia Principe Ambar

That's a good point Cairo - now that you mentioned, I remembered that we had a leaky ceiling in the bathroom so we put some towels on the floor at night so I wouldn't go flying on my a*$ !! in the dark!

new hampshire
Level Contributor
411 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Slips and Trips at the Grand Bahia Principe Ambar

We were a the Amber in Feb, and I saw a young married women who slipped and fell while going in the pool, broke her leg in three places, i felt bad for them the hubby was so upset , they left and went home, I also saw several people who broke there arms while slipping on the tiles, that are often wet or damp. Also when we were at the PC airport I noticed alot of people who had triped or fell and hurt themselves. this happens at all the resort because of the tiles, so be careful! and walk like I do very carefully! Enjoy!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Slips and Trips at the Grand Bahia Principe Ambar

Hello NHO,

I remember your review very well. I read it and my eyes widened slightly :)

This will be my fifth visit to Dom Rep, but my first visit to the Ambar. I have previously been to Ib. Dominicana, GBP La Romana, MC and Dreams La Romana. I have a feeling this could be the best yet (as long as I can stay on my feet!!).

Seriously - I will be holding on to my husband's arm for dear life.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Slips and Trips at the Grand Bahia Principe Ambar

My mother and I travelled to the Ambar in November 2010. My mom fell on the slippery bathroom floor after a shower. She cracked her tail bone and stayed in bed the whole week. The resort was beautiful, however, we were treated badly by guest services after the fall. No assistance offered. Wanted $400.00 deposit for wheel chair. They would not let me take buffet food to the room. Room service menu pretty limited, so we did not eat well. They acted like they just wanted us to go away. Ruined our first visit to Punta Cana. Could not get any help with luggage at checkout, so I had to make three trips to the lobby. Tipped well whenever I saw an employee, but didn't see many. No drink service around the pool when I left the room for an hour while my mother was sleeping. Could go on and on. Our maid was the only nice person. The resort was beautiful and so was the room.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Slips and Trips at the Grand Bahia Principe Ambar

I think whatever Hotel you go to you have to be careful of slippery Marble Floors, also as you enter the pool with zero entry. ie no stairs.

They also have very hard rain showers which can soak you or anywhere in seconds and make the floors very slippery.

This is something you should consider before you even book as I doubt any Hotel is 100% safe, the onus is on you I'm afraid as the compensation does not necessarily fall on the Hotel like in some other Countries.

Fortunately me and my wife have never injured ourselves in 20 visits to the Caribbean. We have been to the Ambar twice for a total of 5 weeks and would say if anything it was safer than many of the other hotels we have visited and especially good for disabled.

We do however often see people with broken bones on all our visits so it is fairly widespread. I would say though that the DR is far safer than some other Countries we've been too like Egypt or Turkey for mishaps where there are some terrible accident traps.

Tread Carefully, especially when it's wet and you should be OK. :-))

snooks

Edited: 24 April 2012, 19:46
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
296 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Slips and Trips at the Grand Bahia Principe Ambar

When we stayed at the Ambar March22-29th I saw 2 people fall. The first was a women exiting the pool/beach restaurant during a sunny afternoon. Not sure if it was the difference in light coming from a darker restaurant to bright sunlight but there is a step down when coming directly out the front and she said it was her flip flops but I'm thinking she just didn't see the step. Who know she could have had a few drinks too but it wasn't slippery just a change in elevation. The second person I saw was a man at the main buffet at supper time.After getting his food at the buffet he was walking past a display of crab legs they had I'm thinking it must have been the seafood night buffet and I don't know if the ice was melting and dripping on the marble or tile floor but he went down fast and hard food and all and all the staff came running to his aid and he was up pretty quick and didn't seem too hurt but probably pretty sore the next day. They then had caution signs all around for the next day or so by the buffet...I too had read many posts of people falling before I went so I was extra cautious so you being aware is a good thing you will be much more careful and are fore warned. Sometime the alcohol plays a big part combined with shoes that are not the best for the different floors etc.