We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreams Palm beach or Now Larimar - switching from MC

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
oakville, ontario
Level Contributor
172 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Dreams Palm beach or Now Larimar - switching from MC

Due to the fire at the Majestic Colonial we are considering switching and need a family resort. Was wondering if anyone can recommend which is better; How are old are the resorts

Dreams Palm Beach

Now Larimar

Melia caribe Tropical

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dreams Palm beach or Now Larimar - switching from MC

Of these three, I've only been to the Dreams Palm Beach. I believe it used to be called the Sunscape and was renovated - don't know how long ago. The Now Larimar used to be the NH Real (I think that was the name) - this renovation just happened in the past year. I don't know how old the Melia Caribe Tropical is.

We did enjoy our trip last year at Dreams - our son was 7 and he had a lot of fun at the kids club and with the activities there. Haven't heard much about Now for kids but have heard good things about the Melia for kids also.

Since I've never been to the Majestic, I can't give a fair comparison as to which one is better, my personal opinion is that the Majestic is probably a better resort overall to all three - these three, to me, are more 4.5* resorts where the Majestic more of a 5*.

oakville, ontario
Level Contributor
172 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dreams Palm beach or Now Larimar - switching from MC

What was the beach like at Dreams PB... The pictures look like there is a lot of seawed and it doesn't seem as nice a ssome of the other beaches? thoughts?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dreams Palm beach or Now Larimar - switching from MC

We didn't love the beach because of all the seaweed - definitely better at Now, Melia and Majestic.

oakville, ontario
Level Contributor
172 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dreams Palm beach or Now Larimar - switching from MC

thanks very much that is helpful

Lisbon
Level Contributor
937 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dreams Palm beach or Now Larimar - switching from MC

I also think these 2 are good options. I have my eye on both for our next trip to PC.

I agree with mom. MC is probably better, overall, but these 2 are nice too.

From my investigations, there is seaweed at Dreams but the beach is rather calm and nice. The beach at Now is very large and wide and I have seen it this year with my eyes and found it to be quite good, although it seemed busier, with some boats close by.

Summerside
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dreams Palm beach or Now Larimar - switching from MC

We have been to Melia Caribe and the former NH Real. Personally just because the beach restaurant at the Majestic is not there right now, that would definitely not make me switch. We have been to the Majestic three times and it is our opinion that this resort is by far the best one of the three.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,530 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dreams Palm beach or Now Larimar - switching from MC

These 3 don't compare to the Majestic Colonial and in my opinion I would stick with the MC because even with some damage it is still better than the other choices. If you are set on switching I would look at Dreams Palm Beach as it is family oriented and the beach is calmer if you have young kids. My second choice would be the Melia........have a great vacation wherever you choose :-)

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dreams Palm beach or Now Larimar - switching from MC

I'm in the same situation. I have a reservation for the Colonial for 6/9-6/16. I was at the Melia Caribe last year and the grounds and rooms are excellent but the buffet is very limited and some a LA Carte require reservation. Right now i'm in a wait and see with Colonial. I hope that by 6/9 things will be better. Good luck.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
270 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dreams Palm beach or Now Larimar - switching from MC

I have been to Dreams PB and to Melia. Have friends who have been to NOW and Majestic. In comparing our notes I would say that Dreams is as good or better than Majestic but it is what you prefer and not others. Each resort will have some things better than the others but any of your choices overall would be comparable. Now is the newest of the resorts and she loved the resort and the beach. Melia was a bother because of the cart you had to take all of the time but a nice resort otherwise.

Ontario
Level Contributor
92 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dreams Palm beach or Now Larimar - switching from MC

I have been to Melia and Dreams, LOVED them both, Beach wise they were both fine, and good for long walks, that is the most important thing to me. Food is always hit and miss any where. I have never came home sick from the DR, with 7 trips there. The melia was 10 years ago, so???, but we have always said it was the best, however, I have now decided I'm not to keen on the really big resorts??? Dreams was 2 years ago, and I would go back. We are going to NOW, in 3 weeks. We choose Now over Dreams, only because it was cheaper. I am looking forward to our holiday, and I hope yours works out.

JCM