We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airplane Ear Problems

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
353 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Airplane Ear Problems

I have a major problem with my ears when I'm on an airplane. They usually don't bother me until we are descending. However, when we are starting to descend, I experience excruciating pain in my ears. After we land, I usually can't hear very well and my head head hurts for around 24 hours.

Does anyone else have the same problem? How do you deal with it?

Has anyone else tried "earplanes"?

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airplane Ear Problems

Yes. Same problem. I'm much better since I've started using ear planes. And I can hear now after landing..used to take me a day to hear right.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
353 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airplane Ear Problems

Where do you get "earplanes" from? I havent been able to find them

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airplane Ear Problems

I get mine at wall mart.

Deer Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
904 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airplane Ear Problems

I have a suggestion for you myself and my daughter both suffer with severe ear pain while flying, we both now take sudafed a few days before we fly and the day we fly and then a couple days before we come back, it is amazing how it works it opens up the earway that usaully gets blocked under pressure. I was given this suggetion years ago from someone who works with the airlines and have been using this ever since and it is great the only thing that ever worked for us chewing gum etc never ever worked, and we had severe pain we would be in tears it was so bad but not know more, give it a try you won't regret it.

Regina,Sask
Level Contributor
364 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airplane Ear Problems

I was told syrofoam cups placed over the ears when descending eliminated painful ears.

Canada
Level Contributor
351 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airplane Ear Problems

I have had this all my life since 5 years old. The helpful I response from the airline crew has always been (do not turn this into something else) chew and swallow.

Don't sleep on the downward approach (because you can't regulate your eardrum while asleep) then chew gum, suck a candy - anything to get your saliva glands going, then swallow. The act of swallowing will help re-balance your ear pressure.

The painful solution is: hold you nose and try to blow out air through your nose. Gets the job done quickly, but happens quickly and hurts

Central Saanich...
Level Contributor
190 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airplane Ear Problems

My wife has the same challenge. 'Ear Planes' were the answer to her ear problems. We get them at any pharmacy. (Shopper's, Pharmasave even at the Airport, etc.) and they are about $10. Styro-cups over the ears.....really?

Watford, UK
Level Contributor
968 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airplane Ear Problems

I was also told about the cups from airline staff.... Only thing is.... You look very mad doing it!!! Luckily I don't suffer but know a few people who do

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airplane Ear Problems

I find that I am better the further back in the plane I am

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airplane Ear Problems

as was said above i take sudafed for a few days and also use a nasel spray just before boarding the plane. i also use the ear plugs with the little pressure valve in them (are they what you call AIRPLANES) which i buy from the chemist . i burst both my ear drums a few yrs ago so dont want any pain problems with my ears or the dreadful pressure pain in my forehead akin to having a brain hemorrhage .