We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids Dress Code??

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indiana, PA
Level Contributor
52 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Kids Dress Code??

Hi - I know adult men are required to wear long pants to dinner at "reservation" restaurants, but anyone know about preteen boys? When we went last time our son was only 7 and we didn't make any reservations for dinner (we did buffets for all the meals so we could eat when the kids were hungry). This trip - he will be 11. Do I need to pack him long pants?

Thanks for any replies!

Moorestown, New...
Level Contributor
191 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kids Dress Code??

I know that in Mexico my boys - even younger than your son needed to wear pants at the "reservation" restaurants. I think that a good rule of thumb is If Daddy has to do it - so do they:)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
453 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kids Dress Code??

Our son, has always been fine in shorts and a golf shirt with sandals at the ala carte restaurants at Majestic and Ocean

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,863 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kids Dress Code??

Mine were fine also but then again they were 3 and 6 at the time. I like the "if Daddy has to do it " rule by JNVmom

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,386 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kids Dress Code??

Good chance to teach the young man IMO.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kids Dress Code??

Probably depends on the resort. When we were at Dreams Palm Beach my then 7 year-old son had no problem in nice shorts/collared shirt or golf shirt and dress sandals (not flip flops) at the a la cart'es, but I've read on here that older kids (like maybe your son's age) are expected in long pants. I'm sure it could also depend on if he looks more like a boy or a man - under 5' tall/no hairy legs would probably be able to get away with it.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,608 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kids Dress Code??

Dress codes at resorts generally apply to all guests age 12 and older.

NJ
Level Contributor
319 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kids Dress Code??

Yikes, my boys are 12 and I was not bringing long pants for either of them. My thinking was, they are still traveling under the "Childrens" rate. My one son, does not own any long pants. I was going to pack khaki shorts, polo shorts and dress sandals for both of them. They have been going to AI's since they were 3 and I have never put them in long pants. We were at Dreams Puerto Vallarta in November and they wore shorts the whole time. Now I am getting nervous. I don't even think I could find long pants to buy. We are staying at IB Punta Cana.

Sycamore, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kids Dress Code??

Do what Daddy does in this situation.Then he will feel special to have to dress like Dad..

Moorestown, New...
Level Contributor
191 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kids Dress Code??

NJChris - Target normally still has khaki pants even at this time of year. For $12 it might be worth bringing a pair along for the ride - if you don't need them you can always return them when you get home:)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
453 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kids Dress Code??

It may depend on the time of year you are travelling. We find in the summer months when it is so hot, the rules are more relaxed. Our son, will be 15 years this year and it has never been an issue. My husband always packs a pair of pants but I think has only worn them once until he realized there were plenty of men in nice shorts and sandals with no issues. We do travel in the summer months though.