We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take a Taxi anyway?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Take a Taxi anyway?

Was looking through our travel docs from our agent this morning and noted that they booked us a transfer from the airport to the hotel and back to the airport.

My question is, is it faster to take a taxi instead? And if so how much faster are we talking?

Going to Majestic Elegance.

Thanks everyone!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Take a Taxi anyway?

A lot of people choose to take a taxi or private transfer to save time. How much time really would depend on how many others are taking the same tour bus shuttle as you and if the shuttle stops at other resorts to drop off people before your resort.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,142 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Take a Taxi anyway?

The other way taking a taxi may speed up the process, is at check-in, as you'll be arriving on your own, not with, potentially, a whole bunch of people also looking to check in. I've not yet run into this check-in bottleneck, but folks have often mentioned it as a downside to taking the included transfer.

I've been to PC three times, and have used the included transfers three times. Hasn't been a problem for me, thus far.

One aside.... if you DO decide to take a taxi, let your transfer company in the airport know that you aren't using their services. They will be expecting you and looking for you, and it may delay other travelers, while they wait for you, if you're a no-show.

Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Take a Taxi anyway?

I have been twice and the booked transfer is just fine. Last time, February, people who took a taxi got dropped off at the wrong spot and I had to help them get to the proper spot. I was in bed long before they wer, that's for sure.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,628 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Take a Taxi anyway?

We have done both and much prefer pre-booking a private transfer. More comfortable, we stop for a few beers, and we are still the only ones at check-in. There are times we have unfortunately been stuck in the "check-in bottleneck" and it can be quite long. Particularly if you have booked a resort that was running a special out of your city.

As mentioned by poozieny make sure you notify the transfer agent at the airport.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Take a Taxi anyway?

thanks for the tip - if I were to do the private transfer, any company in particular to recommend and reserve in advance or just flag down a taxi at the airport?

murillo
Level Contributor
6,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Take a Taxi anyway?

It's $35 for one way , you will be tipping a hundred during the week...lol We pre book a cab the last 2 years to ME . Getting there is big , leaving is no biggy . If shuttle is in your package already i'd take a cab there at least , we get to our resorts at 6ish at night.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,628 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Take a Taxi anyway?

We have used IBK Services and been very happy with their service. But I am the kind of person who wants everything bottled up tight before I walk out my door, so I like knowing my transfer is already booked and paid for.

Having said that, you can always take a taxi once you arrive. Just be sure you negotiate the price before you get in. To the Majestics, as bomberro said, about $35US one way would be normal.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,142 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Take a Taxi anyway?

OBX - I thought the prices were set and posted? Is there room for negotiation?

murillo
Level Contributor
6,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Take a Taxi anyway?

some may charge more Pooz... we use Conexion just because you don't have to pay by pay pal in advance ....just like a cab , you pay when you get to Majestic... I wouldn't hesitate to use a cab at the airport like stated ..

Edited: 05 June 2012, 02:16
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Take a Taxi anyway?

We are leaving Saturday for MC. Our transfers are thru Pireto and will be a bus for sure. Does anyone know if we can "upgrade" with Prieto for a private transfer. Or, should we cancel that and just taxi or go thru IBK? We arrive at 3pm and the bottleneck at checkin would not be good for me!