We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria tablets/injections from UK??

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stoke on Trent
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria tablets/injections from UK??

Just read that someone is taking malaria tablets!

Is this necessary, or required? I am hoping not. I thought my first Dom Rep experience was going to be stress free! :)

Debbi V

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria tablets/injections from UK??

That is a personal decision. Many people go and do not take them but many also take them. Personally, if I were going exploring through the jungle I would take them. In 25 trips I have taken them once and that was just after a hurricane hit . Someone on a forum can't decide for you.

Enfield
Level Contributor
174 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria tablets/injections from UK??

Debbi

It is stated to be a malaria region and recommended to take them. They don't have to be expensive and there is a course of them where you only have to take one a week. Not so easy for me though. The ones I have to take are twice a day for 7 weeks.

However, as above, it is a personal decision.

BB

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
38,200 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria tablets/injections from UK??

Debbi,

You will find many on the forums that do and others dont take malaria tablets.....it will be best to visit your Dr/Practise Nurse as they also know your medical history.....plus they will go through recommended vaccinations with you.

Just to add my travel insurance clearly states that I am not covered for any claim in the case of my failure to obtain any recommended vaccines, inocculations or medications prior to my trip. So I would look into your travel insurance.

Angie.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
697 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria tablets/injections from UK??

BB

Which tablets do you have? Are you sure it's 2 a day for 7 weeks ?

We have Avloclor and they are taken 2 a week for 7 weeks !

uk
Level Contributor
212 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria tablets/injections from UK??

Same here Karen.

We've travelled to DR for last 10 years and always taken them. Better safe than sorry :-)

Nottingham
Level Contributor
945 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria tablets/injections from UK??

Hi There ,Avloclor is recommended by our practice nurse,2 tablets a week before travelling then 2 a week for the next six weeks,they are not expensive we paid £2 for a 20 pack.we have always taken them when we visit the DR

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,976 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria tablets/injections from UK??

beachbaby - why didn't you just get the once-a-week kind?

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,202 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria tablets/injections from UK??

None of us who live here take them.

BObK

manchester
Level Contributor
277 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria tablets/injections from UK??

Just ordered ours chloroqine 2 the week before travel and 2 each week for six weeks -not worth the risk in my opinion,although we went pc 5 years ago and didnt take them then :)

Enfield
Level Contributor
174 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria tablets/injections from UK??

Debbi,

The ones I have to take are Paludrine due to the fact that they would weaken the effect of other medication I am on chloroquine is a commonly recommended one which is taken once a week.

BB