We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Check Luggage or Carry On?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Check Luggage or Carry On?

Hey all!

I am flying to DR on July 2 for my honeymoon @ Punta Cana, and I read on travel blogs that you should bring only carry on luggage because checked bags are often stolen. Anyone have any issues with checking luggage and/or experience with it? If you've been to the DR, would you recommend bringing only carryon?

Thanks,

Katie

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,914 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Check Luggage or Carry On?

Never had a bag stolen. Never heard of that being a problem.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,037 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Check Luggage or Carry On?

Never heard of this. From what I've heard, everyone's major gripe about checking bags is the fees involved. Of course, that depends on your airline, and of course what you're willing to pay. For me, luggage fees get bundled into the rest of the vacation incidentals - parking at the airport, tipping, buying new clothes beforehand, etc. Price of doing "business".

How comfortable will you be, bringing only a carry-on, especially on your honeymoon? Will you be able to squeeze all your toiletries (that includes make-up and sunscreen) into a single 1-quart ziploc, with no bottle being bigger than 3 oz? I figure I easily use 3 oz. of sunscreen EACH DAY! Guessing, again, since it's your honeymoon, you'll want to bring along some nice outfits, for evenings, both in and out of your room (wink). Will all that fit in your carry-on, along with your bathing suits, cover-ups, etc? And SHOES!!!

Another thing.... I just find it a whole lot easier to navigate through security and board (deboard) a plane, the less I'm carrying. I don't want to feel rushed to board, so that I can claim half of an overhead bin, with my ridiculously large carry-on.

Do what's comfortable for you. And, take the theft thing out of the equation. It can happen anywhere, but I haven't heard anything about it happening more in DR or PC than anywhere else in the world.

Congratulations.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Check Luggage or Carry On?

Thank you! That's pretty much what I was thinking, and I only read that it was a concern on one travel forum. I would much rather bring the bug spray, sunblock, toiletries, etc. that we need & be fully prepared. Thanks for easing my mind!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Check Luggage or Carry On?

Haven't heard any issues with stolen luggage. Have heard the occasional (rare) story of items going missing from luggage.

Anytime I can go carry on only, I do. It's just so much easier and faster when you don't have to wait for luggage after arrival. Just grab our carry ons and off we go.

The difficulty is the limits for liquids in carry on. Unless you plan to purchase many of those items locally, which can be expensive.

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,864 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Check Luggage or Carry On?

40+ trips and never lost any baggage

Edited: 06 June 2012, 18:48
Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,256 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Check Luggage or Carry On?

I have "lost" luggage here and Mexico, Aruba and US and Sweeden and...... but always arrived the next day.

Stolen luggage where do they get this rubbish from?????

BObK

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Check Luggage or Carry On?

No problems for us either.

I have gone to PC with only a carry-on (5 day trip and we were looking to save some time at the airport) and the stress of packing was crazy! In the end, our plane was so full they took it from me getting on the plane and it got checked anyway. Basically a waste of time.

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,593 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Check Luggage or Carry On?

I have gone to PC with a carryon for a full week with room to spare! You can do it but if your checked bags are free, you may want to check one. Just be sure to put a bathing suit and any essentials in your carryon. I have lost my luggage (not stolen) just left on the belt at Miami.

Stolen luggage in PUJ? That's a new one....

6 and a half months till I'll be at my favorite airport and the best resort in PC!

: )

Elmsdale, Nova...
Level Contributor
489 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Check Luggage or Carry On?

I've never heard of this happening in any of the caribbean countries.. I've been vacationing in the sunny south for many years & never any problems ..Too be on the safe side I always take a carryon with my travel size toiletries, a couple of bathing suit & a dress/skirt/shorts & top or two. etc. Usually when we fly & its necessary to do a stop over & change flights we will pack half of our clothes in each others suitcases..then we won't be totally without clothing/accessories until our suitcases arrive.. Cheers to a great trip!

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
14 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Check Luggage or Carry On?

I got a funny story, last time I flew to PC I had a carry-on only, but it was a brand new bag that I never used before. As I was flying delta first class I got wasted and totally forgot about it and left without it. Then I was sitting by the carousel waiting for it to arrive one of the flight attendants saw me and gave me my bag :)