We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All of a sudden I'm concerned about Secrets

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
All of a sudden I'm concerned about Secrets

Just doing a little venting here.

I've never been one to put too much stock into trip reports but lately the general level of Secrets reports has dropped. Especially seeing it in the quality of the food and some of the service areas of the resort, such as sporadic mini bar, maid and turndown service.

Now I'm just wondering if

There's been an increase in hard too please guests to the resort (I'm hoping) thus the not so great reviews

or

This is the busy season and service traditionally drops off at such a time

or

Service has dropped off because of the impending management change at the end of the year.

I'm hoping when some of the multi-time visitors return shortly we'll get some answers.

Rant over. :)

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: All of a sudden I'm concerned about Secrets

Brugal:

The same thing happened right before we left for Secrets in January...many negative reviews. Like you, I was somewhat concerned. My concerns were unfounded. We loved Secrets...had a wonderful vacation.

I am sure we will get the "low-down" when Terry, Sylvia, Kevin, and Shelly return!

Brenda :~)

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All of a sudden I'm concerned about Secrets

Thanks Brenda. That's good to hear. It was more a case of me thinking out loud than being worried. Just wondering when multiple negatives become a trend instead of an abberation.

Unless a resort is a total disaster, which we've yet to experience, we'll have a great vacation.

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: All of a sudden I'm concerned about Secrets

Brugal:

The people that do a lot of the b$tching need to realize that the pace in the DR is a little slower.

I don't understand why people are in such a big hurry: "I don't want to wait for a table"..."I don't want to wait three minutes for a drink"...Where are they in a hurry to go????

"The breakfast buffet has the same food on it every day". Listen all you winers, the breakfast buffet has almost every type of breakfast food. What do you want for breakfast? Here is an idea, one morning have an omlete, the next have pancakes...then eggs over easy...french toast...eggs benedict...cold or hot cereal...try another omlete from Felix again because they are awesome...could go on and on! Okay, now I am ranting!

I am in a hurry right now...need to be somewhere in 25 minutes. I would much rather be at Secrets waiting 20 minutes for a table at Bordeaux to enjoy a romantic dinner with my husband!

It sounds like you have the right attitude. I know you will have a wonderful vacation. When do you leave for Secrets?

Brenda :~)

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All of a sudden I'm concerned about Secrets

May 4th for 10 days.

I agree with you Brenda. That could be why we've never had a bad vacation. Take care !!

Beaumont, Texas
Level Contributor
695 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All of a sudden I'm concerned about Secrets

Brugal:

I too was thinking out loud the same exact thing. The reviews have not been that great lately. I hope these reviews are just very picky reviewers. We are leaving in May and celebrating our anniversary and I'm getting somewhat worried.

Toronto
Level Contributor
281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: All of a sudden I'm concerned about Secrets

If you thought of most of your previous vacations, you could likely come up with things you found odd or didn't particularly like about the vacation i'm sure.

i don't like how the service is slow in the morning at our favourite resort but it bugs me for 5 minutes every morning and then i look around and really how great everything is. I'm also more of a self serve kinda person in terms of coffee, juice, water, etc. so compare it to how long I would take to get it....not really fair but anyways.

I find people b*tch about the most ridiculous things but also some people really focus on the couple of negative things on their vacation.

If you accept minor negatives with patience & understanding then i'm sure you'll have a 5* vacation.

Beaumont, Texas
Level Contributor
695 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All of a sudden I'm concerned about Secrets

You said it Princess.

Beaumont, Texas
Level Contributor
695 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All of a sudden I'm concerned about Secrets

YOUR vacation is what you make it. I plan on having a positive attitude and fun in the sun with drink in hand in paradise.

Perry, Michigan
Level Contributor
224 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All of a sudden I'm concerned about Secrets

Hi Brugal, Just read the reviews. Man I was there the same time these people were there. I don't know what they are talking about. We swam in the ocean everyday. Even in the rain. Never saw any trash on the beach. Food was great. For the drinks we would ask for a certain brand to see if they had it and they did and if one bar didn't have it they would go to another bar to get it. I got hooked on Limon Rum and coke so good. Just say mas rum and you will get more. I wrote Tranquillity review. I reread it and mine started out negative but put to rest I didn't mean it too, we had problems and we are not fussy people we go with the flow. If there is a problem with your stay they will take care of you. About tipping we tipped pretty good but we didn't do it for better service, we did it because we care for these people. It does not make a difference if you tip or not. We always ate around 6:oo p.m. or 6:30p.m. when the resturants opened and we were always seated right away. Service was wonderful I love being pampered.Enjoy your stay. Brugal when are you going?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,848 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All of a sudden I'm concerned about Secrets

Secrets will not disappoint unless you go with unrealistic expectations. I have been there 3 times and have stayed 8 times with AMresorts. Remember you are in the Dominican. They have a new manager at Secrets who is very aware of small details and I think that he will run the resort as good or better than it has been in the past. I am sure that he will want to make the resort better than it was and as far as the management change, the workers there now will want to remain so they will not want to slack off. Just go and do not take too much stock in reviews. If you have a problem, talk to the staff, they are very good at Secrets. That is why I like Secrets and AMresorts, the management is available and active to help make your stay perfect.