We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to Santo Domingo

San Rafael...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation to Santo Domingo

My family of two adults and two kids will be staying at the Be Live Resort in Punta Cana in August and we will be flying out of Santo Domingo Airport. Any suggestions on transportation?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,052 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation to Santo Domingo

Change your flight. The taxi ride is about $200.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation to Santo Domingo

There's a bus, but you have to taxi to it and then taxi from it to the airport. Plus it's fairly limited schedule so depending on your flight time ...

I spent a few days in Santo Domingo before going to Punta Cana last December (we wanted to tour Santo Domingo and the day trip from the resort didn't do it for us) We booked a transfer with Coco Tours. I think it was around $200 plus a tip. Service was great, but it's a long ride...about 4 hours.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation to Santo Domingo

a Couple with 2 Kiddies?

forget about the public transportation with your needed luggage etc, aside of the very limited Timeframe to use that Transportation to still grab a pleane/flight out of santo domingo on Time without a night spent near the airport the night prior.

take a Cabby, costs around $2--.- - $250.- for the family one way, dependimg at which time of the day/night you have to leave the resort to do check in at the santo domingo airport on time.

happy travels

Mike

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation to Santo Domingo

Most taxis at SDQ will take you to the Bavaro hotels for $175. Common sense would tell you that it would be a lot more expensive to change your flight to PUJ at $150-$200 change fee each for four tickets (plus the fare difference, as PUJ is sure to cost more)

This transfer company charges $170 each way..

http://taxistadominicano.com/

And in my experience most taxis at the airport will gladly take you for $175

Flying into SDQ is often a good option if there are more than one or two in your party as tickets are often up to $200 less each than flying into PUJ, depending on where you are coming from.

Edited: 29 June 2012, 02:47
Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation to Santo Domingo

Eric,

they are Flying Out of Santo Domingo, so they need to grab a Cabby at the Hotel to go to the St Dgo Airport, the St Dgo Cabbies would not be allowed to come over here and do the Ride that way, only the opposite way.

and keep in mind that You loose 2 full Vaction Days when arriving and Departing at the Santo Domingo Airport.

a Visitor who comes to Punta cana for just a short week of 6-7 days will loose one third of His/Her vacation due the Transfers, plus the two way Cabby fares, I summ that up as quiet expensive and well worth to book from the beginning a Flight straight into PC Airport, if not available at the Homeairport a US Based Connection Flight would be the best Option to finally Land directly at PC Airport.

traveling on the Road that far specially with Kids is often not very funny, specially when arriving in the middle or late afternoon, due that arriving after Sunset at the resort with Tired and Hungry Kids, on the way out for a Noon or even morning Flight you need to leave the Hotel with the Kiddies before Sunrise without any breakfast at the Hotel provided, as a Family Father I would not like such idea, it calls for hassles and Stress on Vacation.

Happy Travels

Mike

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation to Santo Domingo

The other question is child seats. Personally I would bring my own.....

Edited: 29 June 2012, 17:38
Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,052 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation to Santo Domingo

If you want child seats bring your own, the cabs don't keep them.

Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation to Santo Domingo

We looked at flying in and out of Santo Domingo to save a few dollars on our vacation. I will quote my Travel Agent "Are you nuts or just stupid?".... she's a little forward but good.

9. Re: Transportation to Santo Domingo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2012, 04:59
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
1 post
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation to Santo Domingo

Just returned from Santo Domingo - have been there many times and used multiple services. This time we had the best!!! Call Jet Transporte - the owner is Jose. Web site: http://www.jettransporte.com. We were there two weeks and their service is superb! They have very upscale vans, with leather seats, cold air conditioning, great drivers.We had the best ride out to Punta Cana we have ever had. They have a dvd player and movies, wireless headsets. The driver will stop whenever you want to get cold beverages/snacks/bathroom breaks. They also took us out to different places within Santo Domingo. I will never use another transport service in Dominican Republic ever again.